Views
Helpful
Replies

WiFi on Cisco 87X

dknov
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I am planning deployment of WiFi service for small branch sites. Cisco's 87X series routers offer nice "office-in-the-box" solution for this.

My concern is that I want to make entire WiFi architecture uniform, meaning same one in both small and large sites. My plan is to go for Lightweight solution, however from Cisco web docs I see only examples of configuring 87X in autonomous mode.

Does anyone know if it's possible to configure 87X in lightweight mode? And if so, will it be recognized by WiSM (hence the uniformity)?

Thanks,

David

2 Replies 2

frankzehrer
Level 4
Level 4

Hi David,

the 87x Series will not support LWAPP which is the tronasport Protocoll in Leightweight mode.

This is also a question of the design:

LW needs a central WLC which is accessible. If the access of a LWAPP device to the WLC fails the radio interface goes down.

Therfore this solution is maybe not suiteable for some kind of WAN Links.

I hope that helps.

Best regards,

Frank

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi David,

Like Frank said in his good post, the 87X seires is autonomous only. Have you thought about using H-Reap deployed AP's in the branch offices? Have a look;

H-Reap Design and Deployment Guide

Hybrid Remote Edge Access Point (H-REAP) is a wireless solution for branch office and remote office deployments. It enables customers to configure and control up to three access points in a branch or remote office from the corporate office through a wide area network (WAN) link without deploying a controller in each office. The H-REAP access points can switch client data traffic locally and perform client authentication locally when the connection to the controller is lost. When connected to the controller, H-REAPs can also tunnel traffic back to the controller.

H-REAP is only supported on the 1130AG and 1240AG access points and on the Cisco 2000 and 4400 Series Unified Controllers, the Catalyst 3750G Integrated Wireless LAN Controller Switch, **the Cisco WiSM**, and the Controller Network Module for Integrated Services Routers.

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6521/products_tech_note09186a0080736123.shtml

Hope this helps! Sorry if I'm on the wrong path here.

Rob

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card