Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Bronze

WiFi transfer rates really slow

Hi All,

We have a WiFi network which we were hoping to just be an extension of the wired network. Configuration is all done and connectivity etc.. is good.

My problem is that file transfer speeds when on the WLAN are a lot slower that I'd expect. I know there will always be a difference but this seems to be really bad.

I have a WLC 5508 running  7.4.110.0.

APs -  AIR-LAP1142N-E-K9

I connected a test laptop to the WLAN - copied a file sitting on the wired network to my WLAN laptop - 120MB in size. The transfer rates on the WiF connection maxed at about 700K, and the file took a bit of time to copy. On the wired connection, the file was transferred pretty much instantly.

Is there something I should be tweaking or looking at? I'm very new to the WiFi config / setup so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

2 REPLIES

Re: WiFi transfer rates really slow

Greetings!

to get the best speed possible, you want to make sure your WLAN is configured for WPA2/AES only and that WMM is allowed.  This will allow the client to achieve 802.11n rates.  You also want the AP to be connected to a GigE port as well, so that if your client is able to connect at 300Mbps, and push 150Mpbs that the ethernet port is not the bottlekneck.

All that being said, it also will depend on what the cleint is capable of. If the client is 802.11n capable, and supports 3 spatial streams, it can achieve up to 300Mbps.  However if it is only a single spatial stream the best you'll see is around 74Mbps, which would be a much slower throughput.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
VIP Purple

Re: WiFi transfer rates really slow

In addition to Steve's suggestions, please read the below thread as it discussed a similar concern & lots of good responses. That should be helpful to you as well.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2244849

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Views
Helpful
Replies