Views
Helpful
Replies

Will bridge associate with AP?

jeff
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are using AP340 at main office and WGB 340 at remote office. Worked fine until additional clients at remote office, discovered 8 client WGB limit.

In an earlier post, it was suggested I upgrade to a bridge. So, convinced management, and purchased BR 340. However, I think I have discovered that we need a BR 340 at main office, instead of the AP 340. Is this correct? Sure wish I had know that before I convinced management to buy a bridge.

Thanks,

Jeff

3 Replies 3

ndoshi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi ,

Bridge can not talk to AP .

BR350 can play different Role .

You can put Bridge in Bridge root or non root mode , also you can put bridge in access point mode .

So if bridge is bridge mode it can not talk to AP .

If you have Bridge in AP mode it can talk to AP in repeater mode .

In your case you need a bridge pair to connect two remote lan segments

Lan-----br ( root ) ------------br (non root ) ------Lan

In this case you will need br350 ( Br340 is end of sale )

You can have

lan - BR -----Wireless-----BR- Lan --Ap---Wireless client

>>>BR350 can play different Role .

So, what role can a BR350 play? If we had one BR350, would it be able to talk directly to an AP340?

>>>If you have Bridge in AP mode it can talk to AP in repeater mode .

So, if I set the BR340 to AP (repeater), what is the disadvantage of this? Seems (close to assumption, and we know what that means) that it would be fine.

>>>lan - BR -----Wireless-----BR- Lan --Ap---Wireless client

This is just illistruating the possiblity of having wireless clients connecting to an AP340, correct? However, they could also connect with a BR340/350, correct?

Thanks a million for your time and reply,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

In repeater mode the ethernet port of the AP will NOT pass any traffic.

If you want to connect wired LAN to wired LAN and you need more than 8 MAC address on the second LAN then the ONLY option is 2 bridges.

Just to make your problem a little worse though the BR340 and the BR350 are not compatiable to use on the same radio network. You need either 2 BR340's or 2 BR350's

As Nilesh said the BR340 is no longer availiable to buy

>>>lan - BR -----Wireless-----BR- Lan --Ap---Wireless client

This is just illistruating the possiblity of having wireless clients connecting to an AP340, correct? However, they could also connect with a BR340/350, correct?

You can have

-----Lan--BR 350 root ------ radio link-----BR350 Non root with clients -----LAN

In this mode the Second BR350 will allow traffic from the LAN across the radio link to the other LAN and will allow radio clients to also pass traffic to the network.

This is fine if you do not have a high rate of data or radio clients. The toplogly Nilesh described is better for higher use

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card