Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Windows 2000 domain issues with PI21AG

We are using AIR-PI21AG-A-K9 cards to connect to Cisco 1100 AP's in a Win 2k domain.

After the card has been installed and configured, the PC experiences extreme sluggishness when booting up, to the point it completely locks up. If the radio is disabled, the issue is gone. What's unusual is when the initial configuration is completed, the system has no issues in the office, only when the system is delivered to be installed.

There are 5 1100's configured as AP root with 128bit WEP Mandatory, using identical SSID to enable roaming. The channel is set to seek least congested, and they are spaced apart on the channels.

We have tried other brands of wireless NIC's to no avail. Either the antenna is too weak to pick up the signal, or it simply will not connect to the AP, even when authentication is disabled.

Any thoughts? We are almost resigned to stringing Cat5 everywhere.

• Other Wireless - Mobility Subjects
3 REPLIES

Re: Windows 2000 domain issues with PI21AG

What's the MTU on your wireless network?

Sorry for the delay. We have a 1300 bridge configured as root AP with the same settings as above. I believe the MTU is set at 1500, but I am not 100% familiar with this equipment. Currently configured with 802.11g

If you can direct me how to retrieve more information, I will find out.

Thank you.

The 802.11 Mac Layer is a bit longer than the ethernet mac layer. This sometimes cause problem with domain login because they are done using UDP by default. The frame are sometime drop. To test if this is your problem, I recomand changing the MTU on the 2000server(DC) and the host to something lesser than the actuel MTU on the interface. (configure the DC and host @1300 leaving the network @1500)

A Windows 2003 server as a default mtu of 13?? something to get around this problem. I usaully tell my users to install the cisco vpn client if they want to use domain in wireless because the installation of this client lower the MTU of every interface to 1300.

Another path you can look into is forcing kerberos to use TCP insted of UDP. (look on MS TechNet for method)

Views
Helpful
Replies