Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless access points interference

Network Pro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

recently we are having quite a lot of clients disconnecting from the wrieless network and the reason on the controllers is

Client Association Failure: MACAddress: xxxxxxxxx Base Radio MAC:xxxxxxxx Slot: 0 User Name:unknown IP Addr: unknown Reason:Unspecified ReasonCode: 1                  

also looking at the AP's that has client disconenctions say " Interfence failed " - the default value set is -70 on wireless rrm - general page - what is the optimal value if this needs changing ?

anything that can be done to prevent the above ? any idea's

Thanks

9 Replies 9

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you had a site survey performed? Have you tried to troubleshoot this issue with the person having the issue?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

this place was surveyed before installing the AP. this is happening to a few users and its hard to go around the building as its randonly happening

i can tel you that there are quite a lot of rogue AP (like bt openzone and sky...) in this place. will this be a problem. if i contain them will that affect ? also what is the optimal value for interference ?

The default value is what I use. If there are other rf in your building or close by, that can cause interference on your wireless network, so can a microwave I en, Bluetooth and wireless cameras. You can adjust the threshold values, but I don't think that will help if you do have a lot of interference. Baseline your channels and see if your channels keep changing.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

how do i see if my channels keep chaning or is there a way i can adjust to change the channels ?

You just need to document it and then look at it 24 hours later, etc. if you have a wlc, you can just screen shot or if you have WCS or NCS, there is a reporting on channel. You can also turn off or freeze the channel so that it doesn't change and see if users stop complaining.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

so if i freeze the channels (1,6,11), then do i have to assing the AP to use either 1, 6, or 11, is it ? but what if any other AP use 1,6,or 11 and still wouldnt it be interference ?

why do i check this on WCS (Reports?)

and if i enable cleanair , wil this problem be sorted (not sure if 1131 ap will support cleanair ?)

Thanks

Client Association Failure: MACAddress: xxxxxxxxx Base Radio MAC:xxxxxxxx Slot: 0 User Name:unknown IP Addr: unknown Reason:Unspecified ReasonCode: 1 

This doesn't mean it's a channel interferrence issue.  Client Association Failure could mean alot of things.  One of the most common thing is the wrong username and/or password.  Look under "User Name:", it says "unknown".

You want to eliminate the prospects of channel interferrence?  Temporarily disable 802.11b radio.

thats just one of the messages but the others say

Client Deauthenticated: MACAddress:xxxxxxxxxxx Base Radio MAC:xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Slot: 0 User Name: xxxxxxxx Ip Address: unknown Reason:Unspecified ReasonCode: 1

there is two things one is 802.b/g and the other 802.g - so do think i shold disable 802.11b/g if this is the case will it be a problem as inlcudes g as well even though there is a seperate 802.11g

Client Deauthenticated: MACAddress:xxxxxxxxxxx Base Radio MAC:xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Slot: 0 User Name: xxxxxxxx Ip Address: unknown Reason:Unspecified ReasonCode: 1

This could mean alot of reasons.  One of the most common is "the client has deauthenticated because said client has roamed away from the WAP".

there is two things one is 802.b/g and the other 802.g - so do think i shold disable 802.11b/g if this is the case will it be a problem as inlcudes g as well even though there is a seperate 802.11g

Disable the 802.11b data rates.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card