Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Wireless Adapter VS FastEthernet NIC

Hi,

I have tried operating my notebook with both a Cisco Aironet wireless LAN adapter and my fastethernet port active.

By doing a trace-route, I notice that my data is sometimes transmitted via my wireless LAN adapter, and sometimes via my NIC.

I initially assumed that data would take the faster route (100Mbps vs 11Mbps), but fater getting inconsistent results, I can come to no conclusion.

Does anyone know what is the choice is route taken based upon?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Wireless Adapter VS FastEthernet NIC

I guess it will take route randomly. There might be some load balancing configuration done.

Cisco Employee

Re: Wireless Adapter VS FastEthernet NIC

This is done by windows it will load balance between the 2 links unless you manualy configure the link metric

If you click on the IP/TCP properties of the NIC card you want to take as the last choice then click on the advance tab in there you will see a field interface metric

Make this a number higher than 1 and then it will only use it if there is no lower metric interfaces available

You can confirm the changes by using the command netstat -r at the command prompt

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content