Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless ap connect to itself?

Teoh Chee Hin
Level 1
Level 1

hi support,

anyone can help me? my wireless AP, do have one weird issue, where when i show dot11 associate, it appear that it connect to itself, sometime even 2 clients, but with different mac address, i do not know where this mac address coming from, as it is using wireless and not wired

wireless_ap#sh dot11 asso

802.11 Client Stations on Dot11Radio0:

SSID [LiveVid-RnD] :

MAC Address    IP address      Device        Name            Parent         Stat
e
001d.e082.4af7 192.168.1.184    ccx-client    wireless_ap   self           Asso
c
0026.b0b0.4bf2 192.168.1.113    unknown       -               self           Asso
c
0026.b0ba.1e58 192.168.1.121    unknown       -               self           Asso
c
2c44.015d.81bb 192.168.1.190    ccx-client    -               self           Asso
c

wireless_ap#

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What you are seeing isn't the AP connecting to itself, it's a ccx client passing information back to the AP.

192.168.1.184 is a client with an Intel chipset, that is passing information back to the AP, which AP it's connected to, wireless_ap, and that it is Associated with the Radio 0 of this AP.  The 'Parent' line is there for when you are bridging between two AP, so you can look at the connection and know whom the parent is for that particular link.(incase you were using multiple repeaters)

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

not necessarily it would depend on the ccx version of that device.

But yes, what you are seeing is normal. I have some devices on my ap that say the ap they are associated to and others that don't.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What you are seeing isn't the AP connecting to itself, it's a ccx client passing information back to the AP.

192.168.1.184 is a client with an Intel chipset, that is passing information back to the AP, which AP it's connected to, wireless_ap, and that it is Associated with the Radio 0 of this AP.  The 'Parent' line is there for when you are bridging between two AP, so you can look at the connection and know whom the parent is for that particular link.(incase you were using multiple repeaters)

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

hi Steve,

Sorry for my understanding level.

NOT really understand, if in this case, then the mac address 2c44.015d.81bb, also should be appear wireless_ap at the "name" column, right?

But why only this 001d.e082.4af7 appear?

Another question: Do this normal? It is correct sympton?

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

not necessarily it would depend on the ccx version of that device.

But yes, what you are seeing is normal. I have some devices on my ap that say the ap they are associated to and others that don't.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

Thanks to clear my doubt

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card