cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Bridge Problem - Need Help

fcapra
Level 1
Level 1

This is a point to multi point bridge environment. The root has an Omni and the others have directional ants. There are 3 non-root locations. 2 of the three are the following distances: 400 ft and 1.2Miles, they are connecting, but with lower signals than expected. The third site is 1.9 Miles and occasionally drops in and out because of the low signal. This one is the main problem. It has a Dish, Signal strength is around 20% and Quality IN is 40% and Out is 0-20%. The dish has been changed the cable checked and the radio changed. A carrier test shows no significant freqs interferring. The utils on the bridges do not indicate that I should have any problems. Any suggestions???

19 Replies 19

donaldwilson
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have found that in the past the signal strength is not such a good indicator.I would use a unicast test but set it to 999 packets and see what response you get.

having installed many installations without any problems the only other thing I would check, is for local Microwave , line of sight, and length of cable between Omni/Dish etc:.

Regards

Don

d.beaver
Level 1
Level 1

What antenna are you using for the Root bridge? Is that location line of site? Can you see the other antenna with the naked eye or binoculars? What is the environment between the root location and the client location?

12dBi Omni at the Root. I have RF Line of Site to all the locations. Other antennas can be seen with the naked eye. Root is in a small city environment, there are alot of other ants in the area but the carrier test is not showing very much noise or channel use in our bandwidth, the remote site is in a less populated area and there is residential in between. I changed the channel to a different one and the signal improved slightly but throughout the entire band of channels there is not much difference.

Frank, are you STILL having problems at that site?

I'm in the office for a couple of days if you want to give me a call.

Matthew Wheeler

Blue Modal

If you have a extra patch antenna in the 9dBi range, you may want to create a point to point configuration to that location to see what your readings are. If they are better, you can assume that the omni-directional antenna at the root may be the problem.

Also, I have found that sometimes an omni directional antenna may need to be rotated slightly to get a better signal to the client. If you look at a graph of the antenna's spectrum, there can be low spots in certain directions.

Just some ideas.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card