Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Bridge

c.fuller
Level 1
Level 1

Folks -

I am trying to find a wireless bridge that can be used to connect clients that do not have a native wireless radio to the wireless infrastructure. For example, some of our medical devices only have serial ports, so a serial->wifi bridge would be beneficial. Others only an ethernet port, so a ethernet->wifi bridge would be useful.

There are plenty of SOHO grade bridges out there, but nothing enterprise grade that supports WPA/TKIP and PEAP standards that we use. The one I do have, ProCurve M111, is proving very unreliable and I need to find something else.

Can anyone reccommend such a device. Either one that does both serial and ethernet or separate devices for each function.

The inability to find such a product is limiting the number of device that we can put on our WLAN.

Thanks

Chuck

1 Reply 1

wesleyterry
Level 3
Level 3

Well, most of the Cisco APs can be "workgroup bridges" which is what you are asking for for the ethernet to wireless part. However, it may not be reasonable to buy a cisco AP for each device needing to be wireless.

The consumer or soho market is going to give you the best product line otherwise.

As far as serial to wireless, I've no experience with this. I've seen serial to ethernet, which could then go wireless with the device mentioned above, but I couldn't give you any particular product.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: