Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Wireless Connections

Hi, i need some help to know a little bit more about wireless networks.

How is the fiability of wireless networks in an environment that a lot of data is processed and that a lot of traffic will be generated in the network?

May i use (have) a wireless network with more than ten users? my idea is that teh performance will be very bad, am i right?

2 REPLIES

Re: Wireless Connections

Hi

a single access point (at 11 Mbps) provides roughly the same throughput as a wired 10Mbps segment.. Therefore if you put 10 users who were quite happily working away on a 10 Mbps segment that was wired, onto the wireless 11Mbps segment, they should not notice any difference. Of course, bear in mind that the Wireless access point is the equivalent of a hub, resulting similar quantities of collisions. Also other factors such as interference, multipath etc need to be accounted for.

The access points themselves are capable of thousands of associations, but then again, you wouldn't have thousands of users on 1 Ethernet segment would you?

Re: Wireless Connections

You can. Remember you are only working with 11MB per access point. If you have more than 10 users, I would deploy additional AP's to provide some better Quality of Service (QOS).

Views
Helpful
Replies