cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wireless coverage

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

On an existing mesh network, there are couple of small office spaces in a corner for the users to work in. These office spaces need connectivity which we intend to have wireless network riding on current mesh.

The structure of the 2 offices is such that, one is on the ground level and the other one is one first floor. the idea is to use a single 1242 ap for both the offices. The structure appears to be of hard metal , which raises questions on how single ap could serve both of these.

I was thinking, since 1242 has two 2.4g antennaes. is it possible to use an extension cable and lengthen one of the 2.4 antenne down towards the ground floor, with the ap being installed somewhere along the first floor. Will this provide users the access needed.

Please suggest.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

2.4ghz doesn't attenuate as much as the 5ghz. Why not put 2 1242 in mesh that connects to a rap or another mesh ap.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No... You can't do that. You only can separate antennas no more than a multiple of 3-4 wavelength. I suggest you look for another option.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would suggest you mount it on the ground floor and test to see if it covers the first floor.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Thanks Scott. That can be tested, however my concern is since the 2.4g usually faces while the 5Ghz sticks out for reception, will the 2.4g be able to propagate to users upstairs.

2.4ghz doesn't attenuate as much as the 5ghz. Why not put 2 1242 in mesh that connects to a rap or another mesh ap.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I was thinking, since 1242 has two 2.4g antennaes. is it possible to use an extension cable and lengthen one of the 2.4 antenne down towards the ground floor, with the ap being installed somewhere along the first floor. Will this provide users the access needed.

I've seen this being deployed before and I can guarantee you this:  IT WON'T WORK.

Leolaohoo, in that case is the only option to install individual ap's for both floors. To add on outside of this structure there will be a mesh 1524 installed to receive backbone coverage from existing mesh. Will this mesh ap help in anyways for end user access and is that advisable.

Thanks

Should work, however, I can't understand why use a mesh 1500 WAP in an office when one can get a 1240.  I mean have you seen how big and ugly a 1500 is?

the 1500 is being used outside the structure, not inside the office space, to provide a backup path to existing mesh ap's.

inside the space, users will be using the 1242. I'm trying to find another way rather than using an additional 1242 just for the 2 floors attached to each other. All help is appreciated.

Well you will just need to test if one 1242 can cover both floors or not. There is no other way to provide coverage if one doesn't cover both floors unless you add another ap.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card