cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless device recommendation

qbakies11
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have two Linksys WAPs (one at each end of the office) that provide wireless access to the LAN but I need something more secure to meet PCI standards.

Can anyone recommend a wireless device for me? I need to be able to stick it outside my firewall so I can control access to the LAN. I have a Cisco 2811 router that I think can do wireless but I'm not sure that's possible. I'm happy with the WAPs I currently use as far as having a dedicated device for wireless access.

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Need more info regarding what your wireless is used for, etc. The PCI standard requires a Firewall segmentation between wireless networks and the point of sale networks or any network that comes in contact with credit card information. So is your wireless for internal users, guest......

Here is a link to a doc from Cisco's site... you probably know this already.

You can either use autonomous or lwapp deployment, but this depends on your budget and what you are trying to accomplish.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

It is for a couple of internal users and managers/executives that visit our office. They need to be able to access our internal LAN resources which is why I want something that will assign a DHCP subnet that I create. That way I can create access-lists based on the wireless subnet.

Depending on your budget, you can just replace your Linsys ap's with Cisco 1242AG or 1131AG Autonomous AP's. You can setup these with a dhcp scope of just run a dhcp scope off your router. This is the cheapest way to go.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card