Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Dial-Up

casenyap
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My company is exploring wireless dial-up i.e. wireless version of modem dial-up.

Pls advise if there's any commercial product to filfill the objective.

Tks.

Regards

2 Replies 2

jkemery
Level 1
Level 1

Do you mean in an ISP type setup?? There is no "dial-up" type product. But if you are wanting to provide service like Point-to-Point or Point-to-Multipoint wireless access then look at the Cisco Aironet 340 series bridges, workgroup bridges and base stations.

thetaxi
Level 1
Level 1

I have used a Nokia 5190 with the Nokia Data Suite software to connect my lap top to a dial-up ISP for a couple of years. Works great but the rated speed is only 9.6K. Actual measured speed upstream is no more than 3K and downstream is a little less than that. A 1Mb file takes 45 minutes or more to download.

A local ISP just started an 802.11b public access LAN here but coverage area is still very limited. Not at all comparable to the cell phone dial-up ISP coverage area. I have measured the speed for the wireless LAN at up to 850K upstream and a little less downstream.

Ricochet had a wireless LAN in 21 major cities but they went bankrupt last month and shut it down. Too bad-I heard the coverage was pretty good in metropolitan areas and the speed was a minimum of 128K.

John F. Parker

http://www.thetaxi.tv

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card