Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Guest Network, iPADS and MAC Filteing

JOHN SAINATO
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have a question regarding our wireless guest network and using iPADs

Our wireless network consist of (3) 5508 WLC’s running 6.0.188. 2 internal WLC and 1 external anchor WLC for guest.  Presently we are only using one of the internal controllers for users the second is only used for fail over.  The anchor controller is set up as the DHCP server for guest. We also have a Cisco NAC Guest Server in the DMZ for guest authentication.

We have (10) iPads that need Internet access though our guest portal. We do not want these iPADs to have to enter any credentials just pass through to the internet. We do not want any other device to be able to connect to this SSID.  Here’s my question; Getting to the Internet is no problem however when I try to set up a MAC filter just for these devices, they never receive an IP address and never get connected.  I have tried setting the filter on both the internal controller and the anchor controller identically and in about every combination I can think of.  Does anyone know how to set up a MAC filter on a guest network configured as per Cisco’s recommendation?  I also plan to use WPA2 and 802.1x once I get the MAC filter to work.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You

John

1 Reply 1

rydsouza
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Not all layer 2 and layer 3 security mechanisms are compatible. Refer to this doc

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_tech_note09186a0080987b7c.shtml#matrix

What security settings have you configured. The settings also need to be identical on both the internal and anchor controller.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card