Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Implementation 4 overlapping

jorge.s
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I've an implementation of several Access Points in a big Warehouse/Production plant, and in a certain area, when doing a survey, I'm able to see 4 Access Points, this means that 4 are overlapping.

How do I do to decrease the antenna power? or the access Point signal strenght?

I'm using AIR-AP1231G-E-K9 Access Points.

Thanks

Jorge

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Jorge,

Here is how to tweak the Radio Transmit Power Settings (I am guessing you have already chosen non-overlapping Channels);

Configuring Radio Transmit Power

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00804194ce.html#wp1017196

Hope this helps!

Rob

but what is the default? if nothing is added?

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jorge,

Sorry, I should have included that info;

Change the Transmitter Power Level Parameter of the Existing AP

You can change the radio coverage area of an AP when you modify the transmitter power level parameter.

The transmitter power (mW) setting determines the power level of the radio transmitter.** The default power setting is the highest transmit power allowed in a regulatory domain.** Government regulations define the highest power level for radio devices.

Caution: The transmitter power level setting must conform to the established standards of the country in which the setting is used.

This CLI command under the radio interface changes the transmitted power level to the maximum on an AP:

Access Point (config)# interface dot11radio 0

Access Point (config-if)# power local maximum

Use this command to set the power level to maximum. Then, check how much throughput you have, and move the power level to a lower value until you reach a high throughput rate that stays consistent. You can also start from the lowest possible power level and increase the level until you reach a consistent throughput. This is because in some cases, if you do not boost the signal to the maximum level, the throughput and signal strength can change continuously and not remain consistent

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_tech_note09186a00805190f1.shtml#topic5

Hope this helps!

Rob

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card