Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Wireless Interference

Hello --

I'm having a problem where I can associate to an AP at my office no problem; however, when I take the AP to a customer's site it cannot associate to the AP, and at times my client has a hard time finding the SSID. If the SSID is found, my client will attempt to connect, but hang and never establish a layer 2 connection. I've tried this with both a Cisco 1120B, and a cheapy Linksys, both with the same results. However, it works anywhere else without effort. The client is located in a plaza with a sub shop two doors down. Is there any way to check what else is in the same RF to check what type of interference I may be experiencing?

1 REPLY

Re: Wireless Interference

Hi

Take the access point out to the customer site, switch it on and connect to it via the ethernet connection. Go to the radio configuration page and click on the tab "carrier busy" and do a carrier busy test. It will take afew moments. The feed back that it gives is a list of all the frequencies and their occupation. You may be having inteference at the customer site and with this utility you will be able to view the amount of interference and is the is still a channel with no interference. The channels should give near to 0% interference. If they are at 100% then you cannot use that channel and have to try another (if available).

The interference can be cause by a number of things but lately I have had many customers that have installed security systems whose presence sensore not only use a infrared sensor but also a microwave sensor that just so happens to interfere with the access points. One of my customers had to change all of the sensores to have wireless.

hope this helps

rhobab

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content