Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless LAN Controllers

ouhakheme
Level 3
Level 3

Hello --

Do I need Cisco switches to use the controllers? Also, with multiple sites, do I need one controller at each site, then can I use WCS to manage them from a central location?

Thanks,

Ohamien

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ohamien,

You do not "need" to use Cisco switches to connect to the controllers, but it is always recommended =). As for remote sites, it would depend on how many AP's you would need per site. If you need less than 5 you could do HREAP with local switching, but if you needed more than that you would need to get a controller for that site, and then you could use WCS to manage all the controllers.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ohamien,

You do not "need" to use Cisco switches to connect to the controllers, but it is always recommended =). As for remote sites, it would depend on how many AP's you would need per site. If you need less than 5 you could do HREAP with local switching, but if you needed more than that you would need to get a controller for that site, and then you could use WCS to manage all the controllers.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Deal, thats what I thought. I'd love to use Cisco switches, but clients can usually be cheap.

What about configuration time, how much time does it normally take to configure a controller for 1 AP? Also how much time for WCS?

well, on the WLC platform it can take anywhere from 5 minutes for base setup, to hours, depening on how indpeth you are getting. As for WCS, the software install should be around 30-45 minutes from the time you place the CD in the drive to starting to add WLC to manage.

HTH,
Steve

Good deal, that's reasonable enough. Thanks for all the info.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card