Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Wireless link between two buildings.

Hello people!

I have a situation whereby I want to extend the LAN from a main building to a small office (they are separated by a road). The small office will have wired users that connect to the main building via a wireless link, and then back onto the wired LAN of the main building.

I guess what I am looking for is a wireless bridge right? Or do I need a workgroup bridge? I definitely want to encrypt the traffic over the wireless link, but what are my encryption choices? I would like IPSec but I am sure it is not supported, so do I have to go with WPA?

Any help or guidance is much appreciated!

3 REPLIES
Green

Re: Wireless link between two buildings.

A wireless bridge is what you want.

Something like a 1400 series would work well. The 1400 uses 802.11a (5.6 Gig) and is less likely to be interfered with by the proliferation of 802.11g (2.4G) devices / clients.

WPA / WPA2 is very secure. If you use the PSK (Pre-Shared Key) flavor, make sure you use strong keys (longer is better, no "dictionary" words - break up words with numbers and punctuation)

Good Luck

Scott

Thanks for your response Scotty. One part of the layout I didn't disclose, was that the distance between the two wireless links is only approx. 15 metres. As such, I was wondering if two Access Points with directional antenna's would be a more viable / cheaper alternative.

What are you thoughts friends?

Green

Two access points (in bridge mode - one root, one non-root) would work fine.

If you go with a 1200 series (~1242) with an a and g radios, you can use the 802.11a radios for the bridge (less interference) and use the 802.11g radios for wireless within the respective buildings.

Directional antennas of any type would probably give you full-speed access.

("probably" because there is no certainty without a good site survey).

Good Luck

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content