cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Mobile Phones

mamoss
Level 3
Level 3

Recently, we installed a proof-of-concept wireless network for a hospital campus. Part of the requirement was to use mobile wireless phones.

For this particular project, we tested spectralink phones.

From this we found out that these phones use a MAC level mulicast to communicate with the gateway. This means that they can't be used across a routed campus. Hence, we created a site wide VLAN to take care of that.

I had 2 main questions from the test:

1) The phones don't set the 802.1p field. Spectralink see this as a facility that Cisco should develop in the AP, not the end phone. Do you know if this is under development?

2) These particular phones could not be used as a H323 device in CallManager and we had to use a proprietary gateway from Spectralink. Do you know of H323 capable phones or if this is also under development?

Many thanks.

Mark.

3 Replies 3

abillington
Level 1
Level 1

I've seen Symbol's wireless phone in a Call Manager 2.6 environment, and its H.323: have a look at

http://www.symbol.com/products/wireless/wireless_sp24_netvisionappli_n.html

We tested Cisco phones (30VIP) calling the Symbol and vice versa, with ver few problems. The only time we had any issue at all was a CM-related bug which has now been fixed and wasnt related to the phones.

Hope that's useful, unfortunately I don't have any more details of the exact config.s but it was in a Cisco customer demo site, so shouldnt be too hard to track down!

Also, keep an eye/ear out for JetCell: that was linked to inbuilding GSM but if I remember a presentation right there were some slides about linking a JetCell and an AVVID environment.

Andy

sajithnair
Level 1
Level 1

As an alternative,there is new kind of PBX from

NEC which can be added as H323 gateway in the

callmanager and there can be mobile wireless

phones talking to NEC PBX

Is this a PBX in the true sense of "PBX"? The reason I ask is that one of the main requirements is to move away from a PBX environment.

Do you have product details (or www link) for the PBX and phones?

thanks.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card