cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Modems

dmoultrie7
Level 1
Level 1

How can I find a way to use my laptop without all the wire . I want to use it anywhere at home, or on the road and be online

4 Replies 4

travis-dennis_2
Level 7
Level 7

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/PhonesAccessories/Phones.jsp?SORT_CODE=Laptop+Devices&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2421&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_SCID=ECOMM&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_PCode=None&CURRENT_USER%3C%3EATR_cartState=group&bmUID=1039633629718

These are PCMCIA Cards that work anywhere on the SprintPCS network They work at about 50 to 60k but Sprint claims they can burst up to 144k. This is the only solution that I am aware of that works pretty much anywhere. Other providers like AT&T offer a similar service but I think their coverage is limited.

This is the way to go if you want one connection for any place and time.Obviously if you don't mind switchnig connections Cisco has a great wireless product that you can install for home and office but you would still have to switch to a 3rd party when on the road for wireless and then find an area of covereage with something like the Cisco Hot Spot locator or other wireless mapping service.

Thanks for the information it helps, but how do I get the wireless connection from Cisco. That might work for now

cisco is not a wireless isp..so to get wireless connection, you need to talk to local wireless isp which may provide service in your area.

thetaxi
Level 1
Level 1

Nextel® has a plan called PacketStream Gold®. For $54.99 per month you get unlimited airtime. They sell a Motorola® PCMCIA ($349.99) modem that stands alone without having to add a voice plan or you can use one of their voice phones with a data cable but you then have to also pay for a voice plan. ISP is not included. No charge for long distance dialup to your ISP.

Speed is 19.2K but they compress data which gives you an effective up and downstream of close to 50K.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card