cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Printing

DGWBITDept
Level 1
Level 1

I have just upgraded a client with a WLC (2504) and 3 LAPs (1141Ns) with tighter security (RADIUS and WPA2).  My client has a /23 internal network; for this scenario, let's say, 192.168.30.0 and 192.168.31.0.  Their old wireless was via three 520Gs all with 31.x IPs.  DHCP is on the 31.x subnet and everything on the 30.x subnet is hardcoded.  The default gateway has a 30.x IP.  All works well; however, under the the WLC (which currently has a 30.x IP) and LAPs (which I have tested with IPs from both networks), we cannot wirelessly print to printers (which have 30.x IP numbers).  We can print fine via the 520Gs.

Does the WLC need to be on the 31.x network?  And if so, why?

Dan

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As long as you have routing between the 192.168.20.x and the 192.168.31.x, you should be able to print.  Can you ping the printer from the wlc or can you ping a client from one subnet to the other subnet?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I can ping anything/everything from anywhere.  I can even access the web interface for the printer while wireless.

As long as the wireless clients can ping the printers, I don't see why printing will not work.  You don't have any acl's blocking anything from one subnet to another.  These are mapped printers?

-Scott

I have a workaround and a clue to the problem.  If I install the printer using "HP Socket" (IP), I can print.  If I use the Xerox's packaged driver/installer (pkg file), I cannot print.  I will be contacting Xerox.

Okay.. so its a driver issue then I guess.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: