Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Wireless setting for Apple devices

Hi All,

I would like to share your experiences on how to optimize your network for Apple devices. The use of Apple devices are far more common in the U.S. than it is in Denmark (Europe) where I am. We are getting there, but certainly still "lags" a little I think.

What is your experience with:

• 802.11k config wlan assisted-roaming. What is your experience is that good or bad?

- config wlan assisted-roaming neighbor-list enable [wlan-id]

- config assisted-roaming floor-bias [dBm] Ho wmany dBm?

- config wlan assisted-roaming dual-list enable [wlan-id]

• 802.11r (Fast roaming) have any done some teting here?

config wlan security ft enable [wlan-id]

config wlan security ft over-the-ds enable [wlan-id]

config wlan security wpa akm ft-psk enable [wlan-id]

config wlan security wpa akm ft-802.1X enable [wlan-id]

config wlan security ft [reassociation-timeouttimeout-in-seconds] [wlan-id]

config wlan security wpa akm ft over-the-ds enable [wlan-id]

Cisco recomend to use a WLAN for 802.11r clients and other WLAN for non 802.11r clients.

Propperly because a non 802.11r client will not be able to understand the respond from the AP. Right?

- Apple iOS earlier than 6.0 do not support FT.

- iPhone4s with iOS6 code and iPhone5 user 802.11k. What abouth the IPAD?

Another thing. What abouth WPAII+WPA on the same SSID (Tkip/AES) are Apple devices sensitive to this combination? I know some PC are.

I normally disable the lower data rate 1, 2, 5,5, 11 6, 9 Mbps and make 12 mandatory. Is this also the way to go with Apple?

Keep the mind open.

regards. F

• Other Wireless - Mobility Subjects
9 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Re: Wireless setting for Apple devices

Hi Finn,

Refer this document for Cisco's recommendation for these type of implementations

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/vowlan/bestpractices/EntBP-AppMobDevs-on-Wlans.pdf

Since I haven't implement any of those, cannot comment on your initial queries specific to Apple devices. Here are some responses to the general queries you had.

Another thing. What abouth WPAII+WPA on the same SSID (Tkip/AES) are Apple devices sensitive to this combination? I know some PC are.

Do not use both, use WPA2/AES. This is how we set it up in our campus environment & no issues.

I normally disable the lower data rate 1, 2, 5,5, 11 6, 9 Mbps and make 12 mandatory. Is this also the way to go with Apple?

This is a good thing to do (effectively disable 802.11b client in your network) &  help to improve thorughput of wireless uers. We have done this in our wireless environment.    

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful resposnes ****

Hi Rasika,

Thanks for the link. I'll read it today.

Hope it will bring new knowledge... It properly will :-)

Hall of Fame Super Gold

I normally disable the lower data rate 1, 2, 5,5, 11 6, 9 Mbps and make 12 mandatory.

I manage wireless to schools (>100 sites) and I've totally disable 802.11b data rates.  12 Mbps is Mandatory and 11 Mbps (and below) are disabled. 

I have a few sites where I have 12 Mbps disabled and 18 Mbps as Mandatory. 

Our schools are majority iPads. 

What abouth WPAII+WPA on the same SSID (Tkip/AES) are Apple devices sensitive to this combination?

Apple devices (including Macs) don't like to choose from the two.  Either use WPA or WPA2 and don't enable both. 

Apple iOS earlier than 6.0 do not support FT.

All our Apple devices (Macs, iPads) must run the latest software.  Period. 

Hi Loe,

I manage wireless to schools (>100 sites) and I've totally disable  802.11b data rates.  12 Mbps is Mandatory and 11 Mbps (and below) are  disabled.

What about the lower 802.11n rates?

I normally just leve it default (all enabled) but was wondering if any improvement was to be found here. ?

I can play around with the RF-grope stuff, and learn that way.. but playing in a live environment.

Regarding the 802.11k and 802.11r settings. Have you any recommendation and any experience?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Regarding the 802.11k and 802.11r settings. Have you any recommendation and any experience?

Yes.  Disable Client Load Balancing and Aironet IE.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

I use 802.11r and have noticed some apple devices will have issues connecting every so often. It does seem this is an issue with either the later versions of code or maybe certain iPhone 5. Now I have installs in many types if environments and haven't used 802.11r and customers aren't really having issues. I'm running a beta code v7.6 on my WLC and still have issues with 802.11r on a few devices. Other devices have no issues. This is just what I'm seeing.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks, Scott *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Hi Scott,

Thanks. Useful information...

Do you also make a separate WLAN with FT enabled (for MAC´s) and a simular WLAN without FT (for PC)

Or do you use the same WLAN for MAC´s and PC? and how does a WLAN enabled with FT, handle a PC?

Frome the Cisco RocomenteEnterprise Best Practices for Apple Mobile Devices on Cisco Wireless LANs documentation i found:

"The following are the WLAN configuration recommendations for adding 802.11r FT clients to the
WLAN network"
The best practices recommendation listed below is the result of cooperative work between Apple and Cisco.
• Configure an additional WLAN for fast transition 802.1x clients.
• Configure an additional WLAN for fast transition PSK clients.

The reason for this recommendation is legacy radio drivers will not understand the added information in the association response packets of a WLAN with fast transition configurations.

- Fair enough..But we then will have extra WLAN in the air.. Not great! Guess you cant winn all the time

he following are the WLAN aaaaaaaaaaaaconfiguration recommendations for adding 802.11r FT clients to the
WLAN network.
Figure 2
provides an example of these c
onfigurations. The best practices
recommendation listed below is the result of cooperative work between Apple and Cisco.

Configure an additional WLAN for fast transition 802.1x clients.

Configure an additional WLAN for fast transition PSK clients.

The reason for this recommendation is legacy radio drivers will not understand the added
information in the association response packets of
a WLAN with fast transition configurations.
Although the 802.11r specification was ratified in 2008, not all client radio drivers have been
updated to handle the changes in management packets with respect to 802.11r. This includes
several Apple products.

Apple recommends using separate WL
AN and SSIDs for legacy clients

I made a separate ssid just for the newer iPhones and iPads. Legacy apple devices still connect to an 802.1x ssid and when newer devices fail to connect to the 802.11r only ssid with FT, then they fail back to the 802.1x non 802.11tr ssid.

Thanks, Scott *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Here is a good example. I initially had an iPhone 5 that would connect fine to an 802.11r ssid. I had to replace that phone due to an issue and the replacement would work at times and at other times, a reboot if the iPhone was the only fix.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.