Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Wireless signal problem

Hi all,

I have the below BoQ implemented  

AIR-CAP3502E-N-K9

AIR-CT5508-100-K9

the access point is registered to the controller and operating on 5Ghz antennas 2.4GHz is not available .

The access signal is very week even if I am standing very near to the access point

please advise,

Thanks,

Elie

Everyone's tags (2)
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Wireless signal problem

if 2.4ghz network is enabled on WLC then it will beacon for that radio irrespective of antenna connected to the radio port or not. Without an antenna you can still connect wireless client to AP when nearby.

Cisco Employee

Wireless signal problem

Yes, wireless client generally prefers 2.4Ghz in older days, however these days it could vary from client vendor and or bandselect option enabled on wlan. Also, this band selection can be overrided through manual config on client.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/342362

If you prefer to test/connect only to 5Ghz radio:

#check the wireless client supports 5Ghz, if so disable 2.4Ghz.

#disable 2.4Ghz network on WLC.

7 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Wireless signal problem

check if client is connected to 5ghz radio instead of 2.4ghz. If you're not sure disable 2.4 ghz on WLC or use A radio only on client.

Wireless signal problem

Hi,

There is no Antennas for 2.4GHz , although it is showing up on the controller GUI. when I check on the client side located 2meter away from the access point the signal is showing bar only.

Cisco Employee

Wireless signal problem

if 2.4ghz network is enabled on WLC then it will beacon for that radio irrespective of antenna connected to the radio port or not. Without an antenna you can still connect wireless client to AP when nearby.

Wireless signal problem

so, you think , I have to disable the 2.4GHz on the controller and check if the client is able to identify beacon on the 5GHz .

as you know the wireless client prefer to connect to 2.4GHz .

Cisco Employee

Wireless signal problem

Yes, wireless client generally prefers 2.4Ghz in older days, however these days it could vary from client vendor and or bandselect option enabled on wlan. Also, this band selection can be overrided through manual config on client.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/342362

If you prefer to test/connect only to 5Ghz radio:

#check the wireless client supports 5Ghz, if so disable 2.4Ghz.

#disable 2.4Ghz network on WLC.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Wireless signal problem

AIR-CAP3502E-N-K9

AIR-CT5508-100-K9

the access point is registered to the controller and operating on 5Ghz antennas 2.4GHz is not available .

The access signal is very week even if I am standing very near to the access point

You didn't mention WHAT KIND of external antenna you are using.

Heck, are you even using an external antenna or do you even have the CORRECT external antenna attached to the WAP?

Your description sounds like you don't.

Wireless signal problem

Guys the issue was very Silly, the Client did not support 5Ghz to support the signal. Once I changed it to a client that has 5Ghz Wirless card . the connection worked fine

Thanks for your support,

Elie

Views
Helpful
Replies