cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Solution for Hotel

oldmanchild
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,I've been asked by a client,a Hotel to provide them with a wireless solution for both staff and guests.

I am considering 8 Cisco 1240AG Access points all managed by a Cisco 3800 with the Wireless LAN Controller.Backhaul between Controller and AP's would be by the 5ghz radios. Each Access point would be connected to two 2.4 ghz 15dbi high gain antennaes as well as to two 5 ghz for the backhaul.

Also considering the Cisco SESM software toolkit in conjunction with SSG cos guest access would be prepaid.

Does anybody have any ideas on whether this is a sensible solution before I submit the proposal to the client.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Kobina,

I agree with Robert (5 points on this one Robert). I think you are in for a world of pain if this isn't setup properly (wired infrastructure to each AP) You probably need 2 to 3 AP's per floor (2 AP's 1 outside of Room 718 and Room 706) (3 AP's 1 outside of Room 726, Room 712 and Room 702).You can use the WLC feature RRM to dynamically assign Power/Channel settings to avoid overlapping channnels (which is very handy!). I should also note that "daisy chaining" the antennas is not a viable solution :(

I hope this helps! I know its alot more $$ but you will be happy and so will your client if this is done properly!

Take care,

Rob

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

robert.wright
Level 1
Level 1

I would be careful with using such a high gain antenna for connecting the clients. While i am unsure of the client environment, you may end up just providing access to the hotels hallways rather than the rooms them selves :)

Somewhat confused on where your backhauling all of these APs to?

High Gain Antennae

As the attached floor plan will show there are so many concrete walls between the equipment and last room that I had to use a High Gain (9dbi) antennae AND a 250Mw amplifier to push the signal through all those walls.

For my site survey I carried my laptop into each and every room and took readings (SNR and Signal) from Netstumbler. Without the amp I couldnt get a signal after 22 metres of numerous concrete walls,specifically after room 722 (without amplification) the signal dissappeared until I attached the amp. Yes I was worried about noise introduced by the amp but hey,a slightly noisy signal is better than no signal.

Backhaul

There are 7 Floors,a Ground floor and a Basement.Each floor gets a Cisco1240AG Access point. I Want to get a Cisco 3825 Integrated Services Router to Manager all Access Points.

Instead of running Cat6 Cable or Fibre to link all Access Points to the Managing router, I prefer to use the 5ghz Radios to connect all the access points to the Cisco 3825. Cheaper than laying connecting cable.

Hi, at first, the wlcm can only support 6 AP?s. Second, be aware that with 15dBi Antenna you will cause some Headaches to the Hotel Guests, its microwave... Typically these kind of antenna is used for outdoor Bridgelinks. Please conduct a Site Survey for determining the appropriate count of AP?s and kind of antennas and at least the right type of controller. SESM and SSG is - from my point of view - a little bit oversized. I know Service Providers, they use one SSG/SESM for a Hotel Chain with 200+ Hotels!! You can use the controller built-in Guest Access Solution or implement maybe BBSM or 3rd Party Service Gateways like ISS6000 for Guest Access purposes.

Hope this helps a little, Regards, Michael

Hi,

Thanks for that.I did some further reading and I think the Cisco 4402 in a configuration that will support 12 APs should do the trick as the controller.

Antennae giving Headaches:

As an alternative I can daisy chain 6 (see attachment in previous post) Cisco ceiling omnidirectional antennaes along the corridors. Hopefully that should push the signal into every room and reduce the headaches:)

Will do some research into the software and guest access and revert.

Thanks

I would be very careful with doing 250mW... The reason is, is that the clients wont be able to transmit back out. So if a client doesnt have a 250mW wireless nic (majority dont go past 100mW) all they will be able to do is listien to your AP and end in a series of Max Retries.

For the sake of reliability and speed i would run cable to each of the APs back to a IDF then run connectivity down to your MDF if its multi-floor. Likely this solution will require many more APs to ensure proper coverage.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Kobina,

I agree with Robert (5 points on this one Robert). I think you are in for a world of pain if this isn't setup properly (wired infrastructure to each AP) You probably need 2 to 3 AP's per floor (2 AP's 1 outside of Room 718 and Room 706) (3 AP's 1 outside of Room 726, Room 712 and Room 702).You can use the WLC feature RRM to dynamically assign Power/Channel settings to avoid overlapping channnels (which is very handy!). I should also note that "daisy chaining" the antennas is not a viable solution :(

I hope this helps! I know its alot more $$ but you will be happy and so will your client if this is done properly!

Take care,

Rob

GOT MY SOLUTION FOR HARDWARE

Spent the whole day mulling over your suggestions and other options.Have to agree that together your suggestions represent the optimal solution for my client.

I have decided to Get three Cisco 1100 APs for each floor.Positioned them so that each with its integral 2.2dbi omni would cover 9 rooms roughly.

Each would be cabled via Cat6 to a POE Switch/IDF in the service area and onwards to the MDF in the basement.

Off to research the software/guest access bit

Hi Kobina,

Looks good! I am very glad to see your new solution. The drawing seems to be setup for optimum coverage for all users.

Good luck with your project! Let us know if anything else comes up.

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card