Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Wireless Vlan Throughput

I have a Cisco pix 515e firewall and a Cisco Aironet 1242AG

in a network with several computers and servers.

I have made a vlan that the wirelss traffic should go through.

For wirelss users to connect to the wired network they must go through the firewall.

All traffic i allowed for now.

Everything works fine except that the throughput is very bad in some cases.

If i take a wireless computer and download a big file (100MB) from a wired server 2000 or 2003 and i measure the speed , the speed shows about 10 Mbit/s.

But if i make the same test to a Windows 2000 pro on the wired network it shows 22 Mbit/s.

It doesn't matter where i put the Accesspoint in the network the result is the same.

If i insted make the same test with a switch that i configured a port to the Vlan and connect a computer to it.

The measurement to the server shows 70 Mbit/s , and to the windows 2000 pro 60 Mbit/s.

As you can see in this case it is faster to the server.

If i don't use vlan the speed is ok to both server and workstation.

Why is it like this?

What should i do ?

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Wireless Vlan Throughput

Purpose of VLANs

Wireless LANs (WLANs) use VLANs to provide the following functions:

Segment traffic into distinct broadcast domains or IP subnets

Create separate security domains for various security models (Open, WEP, LEAP, PEAP, and EAP-TLS).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_implementation_design_guide_chapter09186a00802a0a05.html

Re: Wireless Vlan Throughput

Thanks for your answer.

I know the purpose of Vlans.

And i am going to use it for more security.

But the problem is that then i am using wireless vlan i am getting much better throughput to a wired workstation than to a wired server 2000 or 2003.

It doesn't matter if i install a new server or a new workstation the result is the same.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content