Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless & Vlans

kayocisco
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

we have 3560 switch in the core and 2960 in the access layer, we have a new project for Cisco Wireless that will cover the whole building.

the configuration of the switches are on the default that means the VLAN 1 on all ports and the subnet is 192.168.1.0 . How can i do VLAN for the Guests on the wireless access points and another VLAN for the employees? Do i need to configure the switches? or just the AP.

Please advice

1 Reply 1

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

are we implementing autonomous APs or the lwapp WLC?

in either ways, for the design which we wanna implenment.. that is "How can i do VLAN for the Guests on the wireless access points and  another VLAN for the employees? Do i need to configure the switches? or  just the AP".

If both the employees and the Guests wanna be in the same subnet then no extra configuration is required on the switch, just configure the Autonomus APs or the WLC for the desired authentication and encryption. so that both employees and the Guests will fetch the IP from same subnet.

If you require them to be in different subnet, then we need to creat a new different intreface vlan 2 on the switch 3560 and creat a DHCP pool for the that particular vlan 2 and allow this vlan between the 3560 and 2960 and map this vlan with SSID on the AP that you want to use for either guests or the employee. so that they will fetch different subnet ip address.

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card