Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Wireless W/S Issue

I am using a windows 2000 machine, when I install my wireless card I recieive an DHCP I/P Address,now my question WHen I go back to my desk and plug into my network connection without rebooting I get another I/P DHCP address which is normal. The problem is when I access amy LAN application it trys to use the default gateway of my wireless. Does Win2000 allow for 2 default gateways or can I setup static routes on my Wireless network?

1 REPLY

Re: Wireless W/S Issue

If you have two interfaces on win2K and you have DHCP enabled to give default gateways, you will get two default gateways. Do netstat -r and notice two entries for 0.0.0.0. Win2K machines, however, do not load balance and it will only use one of the two default gateways. The default gateway that you will be using is the lower IP address of the two. If you want to ensure that you are using your wired LAN interface, you can change the metric associated with the wireless LAN default gateway to something higher than 1. You can do this locally through network settings(define the same gateway with a high metric) or have your DHCP server hand out wireless default gateway info with metric higher than 1.

kevin chung

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content