Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Woes

Tracy Beekman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Have a question that I was hoping someone could help me with.  I have recently installed a 1262AP.  It is up and working great, on the inside of the building.  I had the idea that I would purchase 2 antenna, one for inside the building and one for outside.  The antenna I got for the outside is a AIR-ANT2506 2.4 GHz, 5.2dBi Omnidirectional Mast mount antenna.  I finally got the antenna up on the outside of the building today, took my laptop outside, and NOTHING!!  Well, I thought perhaps I had it plugged in to the wrong side of the AP.  I moved it, still nothing.  I have reloaded the AP, and anything else I can think of, but still stuck with no signal outside.  Do I perhaps have the wrong antenna type?  Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks....

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

With the 1262 you can't split the antenna's on the same band.  If you are using the 2.4GHz on the inside, all of the ports will need to be 'inside'.

The only way you could do what you are attempting, would be to do 2.4GHz inside, and 5GHz outside.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

With the 1262 you can't split the antenna's on the same band.  If you are using the 2.4GHz on the inside, all of the ports will need to be 'inside'.

The only way you could do what you are attempting, would be to do 2.4GHz inside, and 5GHz outside.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ha!!  I told my boss that.....Thanks so much for the help.

Tracy

So, I am looking at the

AIR-ANT5160V-R

This is outdoor or indoor omni that is 5GHz.  Thanks again for your help.

Tracy

NP, that's what we are here for.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

Tracy,

Keep in mind the 1260 model access points are only supported by Cisco with antennas up to 6bBi. Anything higher you could break FCC rules of 1 watt. This is becuase the 1262 at max power can TX at 200mW. So a little RF math ..

200mW+6dBi = 800mW

Keep in mind your clients typically TX at 40-60mW.

So becareful not to max power the APs.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: