Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Wirless ISP

I have used a GSM wireless connection for the last two years to access our local traffic camera system from my commercial vehicle. The information from the trafficams has proven to be very useful for enroute planning. At 9.6 K download speed it has been a little frustrating at times to quickly access and evaluate multiple camera sites. A local ISP [http://www.wow.hi.net] has just announced that it will began on 8/1/01 to provide high-speed wireless Internet access to subscribers. They plan to cover the entire Honolulu metropolitan area (30 miles by 10 miles) by the middle of next year. Most details seem to be a well kept secret but the hardware is supposedly manufactured by Cisco Systems. They will be using 802.11b DSSS technology and claim each site will cover an approximately 5 mile radius. I am an end user not an engineer but this is the first I have heard of an ISP offering (promising?) broadband wireless access to subscribers in such a large scale geographic area. Can any knowledgeable person confirm the technical feasibility of what they are offering?

John F. Parker

http://www.thetaxi.tv

3 REPLIES

Re: Wirless ISP

This is definitely possible, you just need line of sight and the right antennaes.

Tony

I have been looking at a mobile 7dBi antenna (HyperGain) and bi-directional amplifier (HyperAmp 100mW) Any license requirement for the 100mW amp? Is an amp a good idea or just an external antenna? Can I obtain connectors for my Cisco 340 PCMCIA to adapt an N-type male on the antenna to my card? As I said, I'm an end user so forgive my total lack of technical knowledge.

--john

PS: I sent this post over my mobile LAN connection. I am about 2 miles from the AP. It works but very spotty coverage. I now use the Cisco "rabbit ears" antenna.

Now we have use 802.11b DSSS for wireless access to the internet. Maximum separating bitween Central Wireless routers and enduser is 20 km. with properly using of thewireless kits (Antenas, Amplifiers)distance can be more but it have influence on the speed of connecion-big distance-litle speed.

Pavel V. Chjen

www.sarkor.com

Views
Helpful
Replies