Views
Helpful
Replies

WISM and SSID restriction

bmath
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a restriction on how many ssid i could creat

e on a wism blade?I heard 4 is that right?

3 Replies 3

Kayle Miller
Level 7
Level 7

bmath,

The limit is not so much on the WISM as the Access points, most access points support 8 per radios (some 12), but older ones may support less I don't remember specifically. That aside though it is best practice to limit the number of SSID's since they increase the beacons, and overall overhead of the system. I shy away from more than 4 unless there is an absolute need for them.

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

This really is one of those "it depends on versions" answers. Different AP's and different controller codes have different support.  As of 6.0 you can create up to 512 WLANs on the controller but only 16 WLANs can be broadcast from an AP.

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Bmath,

And just because you CAN do 16 SSIDs doesn't mean its in your best interest to DO 16. The more SSIDs you add, the more the medium becomes congested.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card