cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WiSM QoS Profile Question

zhenningx
Level 4
Level 4

I have two SSIDs for two data networks. I want the users in one SSID have more bandwidth than other other. My original thought was put them into two differnt QoS profiles(Gold and Silver) and assign different Avg/Burst rates to the two QoS profiles. But when I applied the Gold profile to the WLAN, I got the message that "Gold profile should only be used when video traffic prioritization is required, Gold profile will degrade the performance of data networks ...". I did some research on 802.11e. It seems like the different profiles give clients different priorities. So Gold profile may affect the performance for the clients in Silver profile. That is my understanding, please correct me if I am wrong. My questions are:

1. Should I only use Platium and Gold profiles for voice and video traffics(not data traffic)

2. If I just want to give different data networks different bandwidth policing, how can I achieve that?

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

alinn
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Here are my comments:

1- Yes use only Platinum and Gold for voice and video.

Use Silver and Bronze for data.

2-You limited to the four provided QoS setting so you mainly use Silver and Bronze for data. It is possible to use another if not being used and your can edit the queue depth.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Aaron

Thanks for the comments!

If I have more than two data networks need different QoS policies, I have to use Platinum and Gold profile for that. Does that mean that the data networks using Silver and Bronze will be degraded because of the data networks in Platinum and Gold network?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card