cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

witless design question

mustafa.s.raza
Level 1
Level 1

The client has 100 small remote offices and each office requires a wireless AP. The goal is to deploy cisco WLC 5508 at the HQ site and each site AP will connect to HQ site over the MPLS network. The client was interested to

Keep the cost low for the AP so maybe 1140 or1040 will be ok.

Question:

From design perspective , do any recommend HREAP configuration for small site AP? Any concerns with 1140

Or 1040 AP?

Any other caveats or issue I should be worry about?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

My opinion is this:

1.  If you need a WLC dedicated to do H-REAP then Flex 7500 is your first choice.  Otherwise 5508 will do;

2.  If you need a WLC that will do both H-REAP and standard then 5508.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

H-REAP would be recommended.

If the entire WLC 5508 is for H-REAP purposes, then why not the Flex 7500 instead?

What are the major advantages over 5500? Does HREAP works better with flex 7500?

Flex 7500 will do nothing but HREAP.  This means that your 5508 can do something else.

One last question: the client does have budget to care for both 7500 and 5500. I have to select either or, maybe 7500 o support HREAP for All 100 sites. Are you saying can't act as a typical WLC for HQ site?

My opinion is this:

1.  If you need a WLC dedicated to do H-REAP then Flex 7500 is your first choice.  Otherwise 5508 will do;

2.  If you need a WLC that will do both H-REAP and standard then 5508.

Thanks

saw 7500 management interface require 10gb interfaces. The customer will not invest in 10 gb LAN switches. Can I use 1 gig port for management? Or 10 gig is a hard requirement?

Unfortunately and mysteriously, it's a requirement to have a 10gig for the 7500. It's not Gigabit compatible ...

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card