Views
Helpful
Replies

Wlan client connects the second or third time

Patrick Werner
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community.

Following scenario: If a wireless client switches from one Wlan to the Wlan with WPA2/AES Authetication on the same AP, the client doesn't connect at the first time. He has to click two, three or four times to connect until, in connects.

The WLC in installed at the central office, these problem occurs in a branch office, all AP's are in Flexccoenct mode. The switch betwenn Wlan that uses MAC Authentication and Web Authentication works fine, it works fine too if the client switches from the 802.1X Authentcation Wlan to the MAC or Web Auth. Wlan.

Wlan 1 = MAC Authetication

Wlan 2 = 802.1X Authetication

Wlan 3 = Web Authetication

The Wlan Switch betwenn these Wlan works., but if the client tries from one of these Wlan to the WPA2/AES Wlan it doesn't connects the first time.

Any idea ? Regards and thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to enable Fast SSID Change on the WLC. This is located in the GUI under the Controller tab. This allows you to switch between SSID's fast or else you have to wait like 30 seconds.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to enable Fast SSID Change on the WLC. This is located in the GUI under the Controller tab. This allows you to switch between SSID's fast or else you have to wait like 30 seconds.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I tested it on site, and i can switch now very fast between the wlans. As i see the problem is solved. Thanks guys.

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I agree with Scott.

Try the Fast SSID Change and let us know if that works.

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

Choose to enable or disable the Fast SSID Change  option. If the option is enabled, the client connects instantly to the WLAN between SSIDs without having much loss of connectivity.  Normally, each client is connected to a particular WLAN identified by  the SSID. If the client moves out of reach of the connected access  point, the client has to reconnect to the controller using a different  access point. This normal process consumes some time as the DHCP  (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) server has to assign an IP address  to the client.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card