Views
Helpful
Replies

WLAN Controller and LAP issue - change interfaces for LAG

dimensyssrl
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all.

I'm new to lap and wlc configurations, so I think I've made some errors in my implementation.

I've configured some SSIDD copied as is like old autonomous configuration, every one to a different interface/vlan configured on controller.

I've configured untagged "management" and "ap-manager" interfaces, both on native vlan and ip subnet.

All seems to work properly.

Now reading manual, I want to configure LAG, but this require only one untagged interface, so I've tagged management interface and changed its vlan and ip address.

I can reach controller on new ip address/vlan, but when I reload LAPs, they can't join controller anymore.

From consoles I've issued show capwap client config, and from output I can see:

Configured Switch 1 Addr 1.2.3.4

that point to old ip address, that it doesn't exist in controller configuration anymore...

If I reconfigure management interface with old address and old vlan, suddenly LAPs appear on controller...

How can I solve this problem?

I've tried to write erase config on ine LAP, but when it reload old ip appear yet...

Do I need to relaunch wizard on controller and configure it properly since beginning?

And a last question:

LAPs are connected on trunk ports on a catalyst switch, so they can redirect clients from different WLAN to different VLAN, but it obtain ip address on native untagged vlan.

If I want to address LAPs on a different, tagged, vlan, how can I obtain this?

Thanks

Daniele

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

you could change what VLAN the port the AP is plugged into, is in, and let it get a new DHCP address. Or if you want to go with static IP, once the AP is joined to the controller, change it's IP to be the static one of your choice, and make sure the switchport is in the correct VLAN.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

With LAG, all it is doing is an ether-channel. Keep your management and AP manager IP address the same, and keep the VLAN untagged on the WLC, and the native vlan on the connected switchport.

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply, but from manual, Lank Aggragation section, I read:

• Multiple untagged interfaces to the same port are not allowed.

from this coming my doubts...

Daniele

It is a bit confusing. Basically, the management and ap-manger should always be on the same VLAN, untagged being recommended there. No other dynamic interface can be untagged, out the same interface. In LAG not such a big deal, as it's one logical link.

HTH,
Steve

Thanks Steve, it works greatly!

A last question: if I want to configure LAPs ip address on a network different from native vlan, how have to configure LAP?

Thanks

Daniele

you could change what VLAN the port the AP is plugged into, is in, and let it get a new DHCP address. Or if you want to go with static IP, once the AP is joined to the controller, change it's IP to be the static one of your choice, and make sure the switchport is in the correct VLAN.

HTH,
Steve

Thanks Steve, but this solution is if I have only one VLAN.

My configuration is in trunk, because I have differents WLAN that go into different VLANs.

Maybe I can simply change native vlan on switch...

Daniele

Antonio,

Reading over the other post, 1st of all, you should define your management and ap-manager as native vlan on your trunk.  This way you wouldn't have to re-ip address your wlc.  dynamic interfaces in which your clients will be on should be tagged.  The issue what you might have is that you changed the ip address of your management and ap-manager is that your mobility group has the old information and that is how the ap is getting that, but that might not be the case.  What you should do is put back the old address and configure the trunk with native vlan of the vlan the management interface is on.  This will stop your issue with ap's having the old info.  Then you should remove the trunk configuration from the ap ports.  AP's tunnel all the traffic back to the wlc unless you are running the ap's in h-reap.  If you are running h-reap ap's then you need to trunk the port and the vlan the ip of the ap is on should be configured for native.   This is best practice and if you feel like tagging vlans you might or will run into issues.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks a lot, this explanation is very helpful.

Daniele

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card