Views
Helpful
Replies

WLAN design wireless location appliance

mark.cronin
Level 2
Level 2

Hi

We are planning to implement a wireless network with Cisco LWAP 1240AG AP's with Cisco AIR-ANT4941 antenna.

I understand that you should have AP's around the inside edge of the building spaced between 8-10 metres depending on the survey and then work inward with omni-directionsal antenna like the AIR-ANT4941.

Should the AP's around the edge have directional Antenna's rather than the 4941

Mark

4 Replies 4

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

There's no right or wrong answer to this. As long as you specify in WCS which antennas you're using, you'll be fine. I would advise sticking with the 4941s, because patch antennas are usually strong enough to cover a lot of ground, and that can result in channel overlap.

As long as you can create a good channel scheme, do whichever you prefer.

Jeff

Thanks, you mentioned channel scheme:-

In the USA the non over lapping channels for 2.4ghz b/g are 1,6,11

In the UK / Europe they are 1,7,13

I have found that a lot of installs in the UK are using 1,6,11 do you know why?

Also I have been looking at other wireless vendors and they are promoting the Channel blanket (all APs on same channel) approach rather than cell based scheme. have you had any experience wirth the channel blanket systems?

Are Cisco going to adopt this approach?

Mark

Hi Mark,

Channel 1, 6, and 11 are just about as non-overlapping as 1, 7, and 13. There's an insignificant amount of overlap, so it's just as plausible of a solution, even in Europe. I honestly don't know why you wouldn't use the extra channels to eliminate the minor overlap - every bit helps.

The "channel blanket" or "virtual cell" WLAN design philosophy is rapidly spreading. Cisco maintains that it's a standards violation and I've heard no talk of them purchasing the not-to-be-named company or of them adopting the same design philosophy. I sincerely hope that they do one of the two soon, however, because it's very good design that's difficult for Cisco to compete against.

Jeff

Thanks

Mark

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card