cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLAN showing up as 802.11a/g but not 11n

codflanglers
Level 1
Level 1

Using a wifi scanner like Metageek inssider or chanalyser, I'm seeing one of our WLANs as only 802.11a or g but not 802.11n like it should be.

All the other SSIDs on that AP/controller are showing as 802.11n. I can't for the life of me think how this could be, but the scanner is showing the top data rate as 54Mbps. Connect to another SSID and it shows the upper data rates as well. 

Any ideas why this would be? Typically this just happens to be our main SSID. Is it just the scanner interpreting things wrong? I've looked at the controller and the upper data rates are enabled for 802.11n as well as 40MHz for the 5GHz radio.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

WMM has to be at least allowed for 802.11n rates to work.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

And that WLAN has WPA2/AES and WMM is allowed?

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's WPA2/AES but WMM is not allowed (Cisco TAC had me remove that option to resolve a bug).

WMM has to be at least allowed for 802.11n rates to work.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card