Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 2100 - And 2 port of poe

Timoteo Ribeiro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i'm looking for help, because i need to configure an WLC2100, and i would like to know, if it's possible to connect directly the ap's to the wlc, or i will need a switch, to be between the wlc and ap's.

I say this because, when i connect an ap to an port (non ap-manager interface.), i can't obtain the configurations.

I only can work when i connect on the port that have the ap-manager interface.

I guess it's impossible to the wlc 2100 have more than 1 ap-manager interface assigned to the ports, according to the manual:

"

3-39
Cisco Wireless LAN Controller Configuration Guide
OL-18911-01
Configuring Multiple AP-Manager Interfaces
Note Only Cisco 5500 series and 4400 series standalone controllers support the use of multiple AP-manager
interfaces.

When you create two or more AP-manager interfaces, each one is mapped to a different port (see
Figure 3-15). The ports should be configured in sequential order such that AP-manager interface 2 is on
port 2, AP-manager interface 3 is on port 3, and AP-manager interface 4 is on port 4.
Note AP-manager interfaces need not be on the same VLAN or IP subnet, and they may or may not be on the
same VLAN or IP subnet as the management interface. However, Cisco recommends that you configure
all AP-manager interfaces on the same VLAN or IP subnet.
Note You must assign an AP-manager interface to each port on the controller.
Before an access point joins a controller, it sends out a discovery request. From the discovery response
that it receives, the access point can tell the number of AP-manager interfaces on the controller and the
number of access points on each AP-manager interface. The access point generally joins the AP-manager
with the least number of access points. In this way, the access point load is dynamically distributed
across the multiple AP-manager interfaces.

"

But this make me confused, because on wlc2100 we have 2 PoE ports, why that if we can't connect the ap's directly?

I would appreciate your answer as soon as possible,

best rgds,

Timóteo Ribeiro.

1 Reply 1

streaves
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Timoteo and thanks for the post. This forums is for Cisco Small Business Wireless products. Please repost your question in the Cisco Network Infrastructure forum here: https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/network-infrastructure. More likely to get the advice you need.

Thanks,

Stephanie Reaves

Cisco Small Business

Message was moved to this new location by: Cindy Toy - Cisco Small Business Support Community Manager

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card