cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 4400 Adding static route for service port

acomiskey
Level 10
Level 10

I am attempting to access the service port from a client pc on another network.

Service port = 10.100.2.1/16

Client IP = 10.1.1.10/16

I know you cannot put a default gateway on the service port, but the documentation says you can add a static route for remote management. So I tried...

config route add 10.1.0.0 255.255.0.0 <gateway.ip>

It does not take the command and says something to the effect of...

"ip address/netmask conflicts with the configured ip address of the service port"

11 Replies 11

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Never really tied this - so I am guessing, what if you tried to extend the route subnet from 16 to a more specific 24? 10.1.1.0 ?

HTH.

I tried all the way to a host mask and got the same thing.

config route add 10.1.1.10 255.255.255.255

Be carefull.... you are not suppose to have the service port accessible on the network. What you have to do is place it on a subnet that is non-routable on your network and vlan that to other switches if you need to access the service port. It is really meant for out of band management.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

We are having this same issue. In the cisco documentation it says you should be able to create a static route for the network associated with the service port for remote network management.

In our case the wireless network has been built completely separate from our corp network and we would like the service port on one VLAN of our corp network and be able to access the management page from other VLAN's so that our receptionist can add users/passwords for the web-auth part for visiting users.

Currently we are unable to do this and since the documentation clearly states that it should be possible how can we configure this? or are we bound to some other hack to get this functioning properly?

If your wireless is totally seperated from you r network, why don't you create a static route to the management ip of the wlc's. You can create ACL's to only allow the receptionist and others to access the wlc's from your internal network.

Or you should of connected the management port to you internal network and the specify the other port for your wireless traffic.

-Scott

I was able to do this... using a setup similar to the following:

10.1.10.20 = WLC Service Port IP

10.1.10.1 = Gateway address for Service Port Network

10.1.0.0/16 = Network to connect to

From the GUI add network like the following:

Network: 10.1.0.0

Netmask: 255.255.0.0

Gateway: 10.1.10.1

and viola! it worked...

So can any host access the WLC'S service port then?

-Scott

Maybe so, but you do not want this... the service port is ONLY for out-of-band servicing of the controller, or in the case of WiSMs, communication between WLC and 6K Supervisor.

Packets coming in on the service port generate interrupts directly to the WLC CPU--there is no filtering or rate-limiting!

Jake,

Good info. I got confused when they mentioned a doc on creating a static route for the service port. I couldn't find any doc regarding this.

5 points for you for clearing this up and also from me scratching my head in confusion.

-Scott

Good day!

It's strange, but my wlc also rejects such variant of adding the static route

it tells something like was mentioned previosly

"IP Address/Netmask entered conflicts with the configured IP Address/Netmask of
the service port."

how did force your wlc to apply this command?

Saman Shamim
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I just did configure the service port on a 5508 controller which i'd like to share it with you the way I did it.

I was given a valid IP address (70.X.X.246) with the subnet mask of 255.255.255.252 and with default gateway of 70.X.X.245 for the out-of-band access to the controller from our office (60.X.X.X). So here is what I did:

In the service port interface configuration:

IP: 70.X.X.246

Mask: 255.255.255.252

And In the "Network Route" setting:

IP: 60.X.X.X

Mask: 255.255.255.255

Default Gateway: 70.X.X.245

Hope it helps!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card