cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 4400 service-port

gbressanin
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WLC 4400 in a remote site and I need to reset it to Factory-default. The service-port is connected to a switch and it can obtain an ip-address from it. I don't have a remote console access. Is it possible to do the inizial wizard configuration from the service-port that , I think, is accessible becouse it get the ip address from the switch? I read in the documentation about that port "It is also the only port that is active when the controller is in boot mode". Have someone test that situation? I have only this WLC and I cannot do a test in LAB.

Thanks in advance

Giovanni

4 Replies 4

Hi Giovanni,

the IP Adress of the service Port can obtain an IP Adress via DHCP or can be configured statically. You can not assign a Gateway Address, so per default you can access the Service Port only from the same subnet. What you can try is to configure a static Route Entry on the WLC to get access to the Service Port via the Network.

Regards, Michael

Hi Michael,

the problem is not to access throught the Service Port into the WLC, this is OK. My question is:

if I reset to Factory Default can I see the Wizard setup at startup throught the Service Port?

Regards

Giovanni

The service port is non-routable. You can assign a static route, but my experience is that this leads to some unexpected problems. Cisco doesn't support this configuration.

I have a config like the following in the switch where the WLC is connected:

ip dhcp excluded-address 10.10.0.1

ip dhcp pool WLC-Service-Port

network 10.10.0.0 255.255.255.252

default-router 10.10.0.1

interface GigabitEthernet3/0/24

description === WLC Service-Port ===

no switchport

ip address 10.10.0.1 255.255.255.252

From that switch I do a telnet at 10.10.0.2 and I am in the WLC through the Service Port without any static route becouse I am directly connected to the WLC. With this config if I do a Factory Reset does the Service Port obtain the ip-address from the dhcp? Or do I have to configure the WLC setup wizard via CLI before? I need to know if the Service Port obtain the ip address and I can configure the wizard setup through it.

Regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card