Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

WLC 4402 & 1131AG - "grouping" ap's for different radio standards?

Hi!

I've just bought a WLC 4402 Wireless controller and 20 APs running WLAPP.

I'm not sure how to define my question, so I'm serving you the whole story.

I work as an IT-apprentice on a school, and this school is located more or less nearby other institutions and private buildings, all running their private WLANs.

My plan is to deploy 1131AG ap's over a larger area. In some places, it's allready crowded with private ap's running on 802.11b/g. In those areas, my plan is to use only 802.11a for my ap's.

But some places, it would also be usefull having both, or only 802.11g (and maybe 802.11b).

I've just used the 4402 and ap's for about a week, so I'm no expert yet.

I can create different WLANS, and limit those wlans to different radio standards, but then I'll have to use different SSID's.

Now, i'm running two Wlans, sending out each their Vlan over two different SSID's. This works perfectly.

So my problem now is: how to make for instance a separate group of AP's (i.e. in a specific building) to run only on 802.11a without having to use a third SSID.

Is this possible, and if so, how?

Please awnser quickly, because I need this to work within monday :P

(I'm sorry for my bad english).

-John-

5 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Red

Re: WLC 4402 & 1131AG - "grouping" ap's for different radio stan

Hi John,

For the specified AP's why don't you set only the appropriate Data rates for the A Radio to enabled, and disabled for all the b/g Data rates?

Have a look;

Configuring Radio Data Rates

You use the data rate settings to choose the data rates the wireless device uses for data transmission. The rates are expressed in megabits per second. The wireless device always attempts to transmit at the highest data rate set to Basic, also called Require on the browser-based interface. If there are obstacles or interference, the wireless device steps down to the highest rate that allows data transmission. You can set each data rate to one of three states:

Basic Allows transmission at this rate for all packets, both unicast and multicast. At least one of the wireless device's data rates must be set to Basic.

Enabled The wireless device transmits only unicast packets at this rate; multicast packets are sent at one of the data rates set to Basic.

Disabled The wireless device does not transmit data at this rate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note At least one data rate must be set to basic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can use the Data Rate settings to set an access point to serve client devices operating at specific data rates. For example, to set the 2.4-GHz radio for 11 megabits per second (Mbps) service only, set the 11-Mbps rate to Basic and set the other data rates to Disabled. To set the wireless device to serve only client devices operating at 1 and 2 Mbps, set 1 and 2 to Basic and set the rest of the data rates to Disabled. To set the 2.4-GHz, 802.11g radio to serve only 802.11g client devices, set any Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM) data rate (6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, 54) to Basic. To set the 5-GHz radio for 54 Mbps service only, set the 54-Mbps rate to Basic and set the other data rates to Disabled.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.......

Community Member

so, it isn't possible (on the controller) to create a specified group of ap's that are running a specific radio profile, but you have to configure each AP manually?

How will this effect the controllers ability to adjust channels and signal strength on the specific AP wich is manually configured?

Thnx for replying! :)

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi John,

I'm sorry that I can't offer up any better solutions, as I have just started to work with the WLC myself. My take on this is that the manual configurations will not have any effect on the controllers ability to adjust channels and signal strength automatically as you are only working with the AP data rates not overiding dynamic RRM.As far as the config of individual AP's goes maybe you could (as you suggested) set up a new WLAN for this area and use the WLAN Radio Policy to disable the b/g radios.

Again, sorry I can't be of more help.

Good luck!

Rob

Silver

If you are using WCS 4.0 software, you can set up AP templates to push certain configs to specific APs. With this feature you could disable the G radio in a specific group of APs, and leave G enabled on others. However, without WCS I believe you are stuck manually setting up each AP. If you have multiple controllers I highly recommend WCS anyways. It saves a lot of work in large deployments.

For more information see the following page:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6305/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00806b7273.html#wp1073558

Community Member

Aha! This is really the solution I wanted to avoid, but it seems like a easy way to do it! I think i'll go for WCS. Thnx for solving my problem! :)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content