cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 440x 4.2.176 Windows Zero Configuration random disabling

jwinters99
Level 1
Level 1

I have a lot of PCs that are running a combo of XP SP2 and SP3 that will randomly stop working and the windows zero configuration service will be stopped and or disabled.  They are associated with Cisco access points 1232 access points running LWAPP.  Wireless signal strength is not an issue.  No coverage problems.  I have a small wireless lab setup with 6 wireless laptops all running XP using 802.11G at 54 megs and some will just randomly drop connection and when I go and look the wireless zero configuration is disabled.  I use only the built in WIndows wireless to manage my connections.  When they stop working they stop working all at the same time, but not all.  Some will continue to work just fine.  I dont know what else to look at.  Has anyone else had this same issue that has a fix?  I am currently upgrading the WLC to a new code to see it that has any resolution.  The problem is that it is so random I cannot duplicate it.

Thanks.

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Upgrade to 6.0.182.0 or later and verify.

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You could look at disabling your session timeout, by default this is set to 1,800 seconds (30 minutes). When enabled the WLC will deauthicate clients after 30 mins of connectivity causing them to re-auth .. Just something to try ..

You will fine this under WLAN --> (Select SSID)-->ADVANCE TAB

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

The problem is that its not deauthenticating the user, its just dropping completely and disabling the windows zero configuration in the services.  I do not know how or what in the WLC would do this?  I really dont think this is anything that I can control.  I am guessing that there is an internal conflict on the pc.  I have been told that the image used to image the machine has had the manufacturers wireless client utility removed.  I did find a DW Utility in the services list.  I think that is my problem.  I did however go ahead and upgrade them to 5.2.193.  All I can do is have the customer monitor and see what happens.  Will post an update when I get one.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrreat!  I'd take the upgrade to 5.X with a pound of salt.  Be ready to upgrade to 6.0.182.0 or 6.0.188.0.

JW,  This really sounds like a supplicant conflict.  Are you sure the native supp was completely removed?

Kayle Miller
Level 7
Level 7

JW,

Are these client machines Dell Laptops by chance?? If so are the newer E6xxx series?

I remember having that same issue a while back and it was indeed a client driver issue.  Updating to the latest wasn't the fix for me... I actually had to find an older driver.  By the way, you don't have any 3rd party supplicant also installed?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

The problem appears to be fixed.  I was told by the end user that the windows zero driver was the only one loaded and running.  After looking into it more it ended up being the customer had the manufacturers drivers loaded and the service running.  They had only stopped the application itself.  So there ended up being a confilct at some random time between the windows zero and the manu. one.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: