Marc Aemmer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

I've got two 5508 configured as AP SSO and I want to upgrade the FUS to 1.9.0.0
The Image running is 7.6.110.0

On the active controller the FUS Version is 1.3
On the HA-SKU controller the FUS Version is 1.7

Now, can I upgrade the FUS to 1.9.0.0 using the GUI, even when both controllers don't use the same FUS Version? If yes, can I go directly from FUS 1.3 to 1.9.0.0?

thanks a lot,
marc

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
On the active controller the FUS Version is 1.3

You may need to break HA and upgrade the active controller to FUS 1.7.  Once the active controller is upgraded to this version, you enable HA.  Only then can you upgrade the pair to 1.9 via GUI.  And when you do this, the active controller will "push" the FUS 1.9 to the hot-standby unit independently.

What about the following procedure:

1. Upgrade FUS to 1.9.0.0 on Standby via CLI.

2. force-switchover active role to upgraded standby controller.

3. Upgrade FUS to 1.9.0.0 on the standby controller (active before) via CLI.

4. force-switchover back to initial situation.

So there is a minimal downtime for the AP's (Just when switchover twice)

Hi,

Your process could work but I am not sure.

To be 100% sure then You must break HA. Upgrade FUS and then join again.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Unfortunately its not possible to upgrade just the standby controller in a AP SSO setup. The Command "transfer" is not available on the controller with the standby role. :-/

I don't get it, why it's not possible to upgrade either FUS oder Software in a AP SSO setup without downtime. The reason why people use AP SSO is because they have a sensitive wireless environment (24/7) and care about not having some downtime. Hopefully there will give some improvements in future releases in case of downtimes when upgrading.

1. Upgrade FUS to 1.9.0.0 on Standby via CLI.

I do not believe it is a good idea to go from FUS 1.3 to FUS 1.9 without going through FUS 1.7.

Unfortunately its not possible to upgrade just the standby controller in a AP SSO setup. The Command "transfer" is not available on the controller with the standby role. :-/

I don't get it, why it's not possible to upgrade either FUS oder Software in a AP SSO setup without downtime. The reason why people use AP SSO is because they have a sensitive wireless environment (24/7) and care about not having some downtime. Hopefully there will give some improvements in future releases in case of downtimes when upgrading.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card