Views
Helpful
Replies

wlc 5508 fus upgrade to v1.9

darragh long
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks, 

I have a pair of wlc 5508, configured as a HA pair.   I want to upgrade the FUS to ver 1.9.

Is it necessary to break the HA pair, and upgrade each wlc individually?

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If I remembered correctly, the answer is YES.  You need to break the HA pair and upgrade the FUS individually.

However, they could be a way around this:  

1.  Upgrade the FUS of the active controller.  You'll need to reboot the controller anyway, right?  So force a redundancy fail-over (the active controller reboots). 

2.  When you force a redundancy fail-over the secondary takes over.  So you upgrade the secondary FUS code.  Once upgrade completes, for another redundancy fail-over.  

marce1000
VIP
VIP

Ref : http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/7-5/High_Availability_DG.html

>...

The FUS image can be upgraded while the controllers have HA enabled. The secondary controller will get upgraded just like it does when upgrading the regular code. However, when you initiate the reboot on the primary controller both controllers will be unreachable until the FUS upgrade completes on both the active and the standby in the HA pair. This process will take around 30 to 40 minutes to complete just like in a non-HA FUS upgrade.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card