cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 5508 with version 7.0.98.0 and AIR-LAP1242ag

nairsathees
Level 1
Level 1

hi, recently i have deployed wlc 5508 with ap 1262. initially i had trouble with the existing version on the wlc (6..0.199.0) which AIR-LAP1262N-E-K9 was not registering with wlc. i have upgraded the wlc to 6.0.199.4 ver still it was not registering. finally i have upgraded to 7.0.98.0 and all the 40 AP's ( AIR-LAP1262N-E-K9 ) are addedd and its working fine.

Now my issue is, at the same site i have 12 nos of AIR-LAP1242ag autnomous AP's which i need to convert to lightweight ap and register with wlc. where i am stuck currently. after loading the recovery image (c1240-rcvk9w8-tar.123-7.JX9.tar) the ap reboots and can see it register with wlc within seconds contollers pushed the new image and once the ap reboots, never register again.

does anyone has any idea?

15 Replies 15

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The reason of the original problem is that the 1260 are new and require 7.0 software to join.

For your 1242, it's hard to figure out without any info. Can you collect a "debug capwap events enable" and "debug capwap errors enable" on the WLC when the APs are supposed to be trying to join ?

The output of the console of your 1242 might help as well.

Did you check your ap authorization policy ? Something blocking them there maybe ?

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

thanks mate for the reply and i have attached the cli message after enable the debug...

regards

sathees

You only posted the WLC output and as I understand it indicates only probing of the already associated APs. We don't see a word about the 1242s ...

Nicolas

sorry mate...it was my mistake posing a wrong file please find two files..txt file is from CLI input  and .doc file from controller while registering

*Oct 24 07:15:26.622: %DTLS-3-BAD_RECORD: Erroneous record received from 10.1.12.5: Duplicate (replayed) record
., 1)24 07:15:44.618: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Retransmission count for packet exceeded max(UNKNOWN_MESSAGE_TYPE (5)

does it means its bad AP...please explain i did not unerstand..

sathees

How many APs can your WLC support and how many have already joined?

i have 150 ap license and currently 33 are registered... all of them are 1262..time stamp is accurate and region is set for AE

Have you tried setting the date / time on the AP? And also ensuring it's correct on the WLC?

The mutual authentication between the WLC-AP uses Certificates and can therefore be sensitive to date related problems...

i have correct date and time running in WLC.. but AP doesnt prompt me to do so...as it keep on trying to register with WLC

To clarify on the last few replies :

The time can never be set on a lwapp AP as it gets its time synch from the WLC.

What the AP seems to complain about is "replayed" packets. It seems it gets the same packets twice.

Can you tell us more about the difference between your 1242 and your other APs ? Are they in the same subnet ? same location ?

Taking a sniffer trace on the AP port would help confirming if indeed the AP is receiving duplicated packets, in which case there is a switching issue somewhere

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

The added / registered AP's are 1262 (33 nos)

1242 was an autonomus AP and converted to LWAPP the version i used for is c1240-rcvk9w8-tar.123-7.JX9.tar

1242 is connecting to the same subnet where the controller based. we can see the IP address received by the 1242 AP is the same subnet as WLC

(eg: WLC is 10.1.12.5 and 1242 AP received 10.1.12.136)

if u could see the GUI .docx file attached earlier..."ignoring config status as mac address is not present in database"

the duplicate packets recevied message was coming earlier when i was trying to join 1262 ap while i am running ver 6.0.199.0 and 6.0.199.4. after upgrading to 7.0.98.0 only it resolved..

1260 is new and therefore is only supported on the newer 7.0 code, so no wonder it was not joining 6.0. That's totally expected.

But I'm concerned that you have replay packets in any case. Maybe there actually is something fishy in the network. Bad LAG configuration on the WLC maybe ?

Are the 1260 also in the WLC subnet ?

I'd still suggest to sniff the traffic coming to AP to confirm or not if your network is duplicating packets.

Nicolas

i was thinking the same...and what i did is i have the second controller not deployed yet.. i have setup the controller with a switch and tried the same and the result is same it not adding..since i have posted for expert suggestion

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card