cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Client details> Policy Manager State

thompso7540
Level 1
Level 1

on the controller under the client details, what is the policy manager state?

my client says it's RUN. What does thsi mean?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

it will only show the AUTH that the client need to pass before it can work normally, for example, if you configure the WLAN to use WEB-authentication, then before the client pass web-auth, it will show WEBAUTH_REQD, but will not show things like dhcp or 802.11 association.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

bbxie
Level 3
Level 3

The Cisco UWN security solution bundles potentially complicated Layer 1, Layer 2, and Layer 3 802.11 Access Point security components into a simple policy manager that customizes system-wide security policies on a per-WLAN basis.

Before a client passed the authentication, policy manager state will show you what kind of security will needed, for example, if this WLAN is configured with 802.1x authtication, and the client associated with this WLAN but have not passed 802.1X authentication, then the policy manager status will be 8021X_REQD; if the client had passed the authentication and work normally, then the policy manager status will be RUN

will it show me other things besides 802.1x?

like dhcp or 802.11 association?

it will only show the AUTH that the client need to pass before it can work normally, for example, if you configure the WLAN to use WEB-authentication, then before the client pass web-auth, it will show WEBAUTH_REQD, but will not show things like dhcp or 802.11 association.

Guys, What does "Policy Manager State" START mean?

Many thx

Ken

Hi guys,

I've the same question:  What does "Policy Manager State" START mean?

Here is what I found while searching:

START -- Meaning the client is starting the process to get on the network

802.1x_REQ - Means the client is failing authentication

DHCP_REQ - Means the client is having a IP issue

RUN - Means lift is good

Now, I would ask what does a client stuck in START mean?

What state should a client stay if MAC Filtering is enabled, and its MAC is not present on the allowed MAC list?

Hi Florin,

Yes you are right,

If Policy Manager State is START means:

START -- Meaning the client is starting the process to get on the network

stuck in Start means client did completed the authentication which is requires according to WLAN configuration.(Mac filtering) 

What state should a client stay if MAC Filtering is enabled, and its MAC is not present on the allowed MAC list?

It will be in START state.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: