cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC containing one of its own AP's as a rogue?

Tony Dann
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have several WLC's in school sites all connected back to a central WCS (ver6) which is working fine so I am just trying to clear up a few small issues.

At a couple of sites I am getting alarms on WCS as per example below which has me at a loss.

WCS has detected one or more alarms of category AP and severity Critical in Virtual Domain root
for the following items:

AP 'grafs-S03' is being contained. This is due to rogue device spoofing AP 'grafs-S03' BSSID or targetting AP 'grafs-S03' BSSID. - Controller Name: grafs-wlc-01

E-mail will be suppressed up to 30 minutes for these alarms.

Then a minute later I get the following to say its no longer being contained.

WCS has detected a change in one or more alarms of category AP and severity Critical in Virtual Domain root.
The new severity of the following items is Clear:

AP 'grafs-S03' with protocol '802.11b/g' on Controller '10.96.192.5' is no longer being contained. Service is restored. - Controller Name: grafs-wlc-01

E-mail will be suppressed up to 30 minutes for these changes.

Any suggestions on this error would be appreciated.

TIA Tony

18 Replies 18

I am seeing this on our campus as well.  It is not realistic (with the volume of devices we have) to change settings on every iDevice that is causing this problem.  Is there any way to find and mark these devices as "safe" or some other solution to make these alerts go away?  I probably see 10-20 of these alerts every day....

Vinay Sharma
Level 7
Level 7

Hello Tony,

Please mark the Question as Answered, if the provided information is correct and it helped. By doing that others can take benefit as well.

Thanks,

Vinay Sharma

Community Manager – Wireless

Thanks & Regards

grccadmin
Level 1
Level 1

Has there been a resonable solution found for this issue? Telling people with Apple devices to adjust their settings is not an acceptable answer.

Apple's iOS code updates seem to have reduced the problem a lot.  Upgrade controller code to 7.2 series or later and it should disappear altogether.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card