cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Controller Upgrade Fails.

svanhandel
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying (for two days now!) to upgrade a 4402 Controller. I have upgraded three others just like it to version AIR-WLC4400-K9-4-0-179-11.aes from Version: 3.2.150.6. I have tried multiple TFTP servers and each one fails with "Failure while storing in flash". Nothing I change seems to have any effect and the tftp downloads vary as to where they drop off with no consistency.

Thanks!

18 Replies 18

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

This message comes up cause of 2-3 reasons. One if you are upgrading the image on wrong platform so please check if you are loading the image 100% on 4400 series only.

Second image may also go corrupt sometimes after using it 2-3 times which should not happen but I have observed it sometimes. So download again and then try to upgrade your controller and update us with the results.

HTH

Ankur

Thanks for information.working

magress
Level 1
Level 1

Additionally, please make sure you are using the latest version of TFTP software. Some older versions have 13-16mb limitation. You can verify this with a 'debug transfer all enable'

Thanks,

Mark

I'm having this issue as well on my 4402 WLC. I've tried downloading the file three times, three different TFTP servers, and get the same result.

I'm convinced these WLC have flash problems.

Are you performing the upgrade via the web interface or cli? also, is the tftp server located on the same subnet as the WLC?

You may be better off using the CLI

Hi There

The problem does not exist with the FLASH on the WLC COntroller. The problem here is that the OS Image for the WLC is larger than 32Mb and most TFTP servers only support files of 16Mb in size and thus fail when having to write a larger file to FLASH. Download the latest version of TFTPD32 from www.download.com (it is free) and run it.

IT WILL WORK.

HTH

Regards

Steven

You could also use the standard tftp server that comes with most Linux distros.

Still, it would be nice if Cisco added ftp support in 4.2 for the WLCs

Steven,

I have tried other TFTP servers that do not have a size limitation and encountered the same problem after the file had been completely downloaded.

I'll try the command line as well now.

I've tried Tftpd32 and that failed as well.

Tonight I tried two other TFTP Servers and also tried the 4.1.185 code (I had previously been using the 4.1.171 code).

Every one failed.

Argh. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy

I've been bagging my ahead against the wall on this but here's what I've found:

Performing upgrades over a WAN connection has not had a good success rate due to the nature of TFTP. Download the files to a PC local to the controller and run a tftp server to transfer the file across the LAN to the device. This has solved my problem when dealing with upgrades of all models of WLCs.

I suggest Cisco adds FTP capabilities to the lightweight platform in the future.

I was having the exact same problem. I was using TFTP32 on an old windows 2000 laptop on the same subnet as the WLC. I switched to my macbook running Windows XP in bootcamp and the upgrade worked fine.

Anyone find a solution?

phillsolomon
Level 1
Level 1

I am really frustrated about this too - I have now tried about half a dozen clients with still no joy - next stop layer 2

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card