Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Controllers with Multiple DHCP Servers

rlaudicina
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have a central office with (2) 4402 WLC's and about 25 Branch offices throughout the country. Currently all AP's are static IP'd with IP's from the local Branch office subnets. However the Clients all pull their IP's from a Central DHCP server here at corporate.

What I would like to do, is have clients get local branch office IP's from the AP located at that site. So rather than using a central DHCP server here at corporate using a single subnet for all wireles clients. Clients would be assigned local IP's by preferably local DHCP servers. I am having trouble finding an answer to this problem within the documentation. Any help or Ideas would be appreciated. 

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Robert,

You will need to set the access points from local mode to h-reap if not done already. You will also need to trunk the AP ports to the switch and in the AP when it is in H-REAP mode, you will have ssid to vlan mapping you can set. The AP management vlan will be set as your native vlan on the trunk. Your WLAN ssid will also need I have h-reap local switching enabled.

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here is a link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080736123.shtml

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Ven Taylor
Level 4
Level 4

If you're going the H-REAP route, and you're using some sort of authentication, make sure you keep in mind that you should have local radius servers.  We ran into this problem in our DC office.

We used H-REAP, but when our wan connection went down, all authenticated users were fine, but no new users could authenticate because our RADIUS server was at corporate.

Ven

Ven Taylor

were not using any radius type authentication. But I am still a bit hazy on how the hreap thing works, I did read the link and it is very helpful but I was kind of thrown into this one without much wireless background. Right now when I change an Ap to H-reap it somehow disables the a radio. I cant seem to get that back working which im not all that sure is even that big of a deal. The SSID is configured for local switching and central auth.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card