cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC date and time configuration

mario.anastacio
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a problem with a 4402 Wireless LAN Controller running 7.0.116.0 versión. The equipment is working fine, but after a hard reset i lost date and time

configuration.No other configuration is affected, only date and time. What can be the cause of this?

20 Replies 20

The date and time set back to January 1, 2000 whenever we turn the power switch off at the back of WLC. We have plenty of 5508 deployment but never encountered this problem until now.

Kumusta?

Is this WLC configured with NTP?  Particularly in the Philippines (unstable power source), I'd find a way to configure the NTP.

WLC's don't have a clock mechanisms.  This is why Cisco recommends you have NTP setup or else it'll revert back to default time and date.  NTP also ensures the clock is synchronized regularly. 

Hi Leo, mabuti naman po ako. Ikaw kumusta? You can speak tagalog pala. << OT.

WLC don't have NTP configured because they don't have NTP server. Anyway, I must agree with you in terms of unstable power source here in Philippines, but in this case, the client datacenter do have redundant UPS standing-by incase power interruption occurs. Actually, my client have 2x 5508 sitting side by side. The other one is working properly because we tried them to switch off and then unplugged the power cord from power source. When we plugged it again and they boot up, one WLC retains its clock and date but the other one reverts to January 1, 2000.

I think we better request for an RMA for this unit.

Hi Leo, mabuti naman po ako. Ikaw kumusta?  You can speak tagalog pala.

Cebuano.

No NTP?  No issue.  If your core network is sychronized to a trusted source, point the WLC to that IP address.  In some of the wireless infrastructure I've seen, the NTP is mostly the default gateway of the subnet of the Management IP address. 

I would open a Tac case ..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi George,

We are thinking that too. But I think it's better to have it replaced.

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Mario,

As per your query i can suggest you the following-

If you did not configure the system date and time through the configuration wizard or if you want to change your configuration, you can follow the instructions in this section to configure the controller to obtain the date and time from a Network Time Protocol (NTP) server or to configure the date and time manually. Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) is used as the standard for setting the time zone on the controller.

For more information refer to the link-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/6.0/configuration/guide/c60intf.html#wp1144340

Hope this will help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card