Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

WLC date and time configuration

Hi, I have a problem with a 4402 Wireless LAN Controller running 7.0.116.0 versión. The equipment is working fine, but after a hard reset i lost date and time

configuration.No other configuration is affected, only date and time. What can be the cause of this?

20 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: WLC date and time configuration

It should of been fine as long as you saved the configuration. I haven't seen the time and day change when I hard boot any wlc.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

The configuration was saved before the hard reset. I can also say that if i do a software reset on this controller, the configuration is retained, but every time i turn the switch off, this particular thing is lost.

Thanks

What model wlc? I have a 2006, 2106, 2504 & a 5508 with no issues.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Hi All,

Hi All,

I have a controller of 2504 with the system time badly configured......It's showing "Sat Jan 1 06:42:29 2000". How can I correct this date & time.

Thanks.

Hi All,

Hi All,

Have already reset the time.

Thanks.

Hummm is there a battery on the board to keep the time ?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

WLC4402 running version 7.0.116.0. I looked for a battery in a stock equipment and found nothing

Hall of Fame Super Gold

When you mean "lost" do you mean you don't have an NTP configured?

That's correct, there are no NTP configuration

Hall of Fame Super Gold

That's correct, there are no NTP configuration

If you don't have a valid NTP source, when the WLC reboots it reverts to default time.  I believe the WLC does not "remember" the time and date, hench the Cisco recommendation to configure an NTP source.  Failure to do so will cause the WLC to loose track and prevent the WAPs from joining the WLC in the future.

Well... I took off my NTP configuration on my 5508 and just shut the power off and left it off for a day.  I just booted it back on and the time is correct.  Who knows

-Scott

So, do you think this is a hardware problem? Because as you say, i have rebooted several controllers in the past and i have never seen this... I will test with an NTP configured, but if this is a hardware problem i have to take action

Thank you all

I don't know if its a hardware problem... I don't have a 4400 to test with.  Like Leo mentioned, if you do setup an NTP, the time will always sync to that no matter what.

-Scott

This looks like old post but we have a client right now (April 25, 2013) with similar problem but in WLC 5508. The date and time set back to January 1, 2000 whenever we turn the power switch off at the back of WLC. We have plenty of 5508 deployment but never encountered this problem until now.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

The date and time set back to January 1, 2000 whenever we turn the power switch off at the back of WLC. We have plenty of 5508 deployment but never encountered this problem until now.

Kumusta?

Is this WLC configured with NTP?  Particularly in the Philippines (unstable power source), I'd find a way to configure the NTP.

WLC's don't have a clock mechanisms.  This is why Cisco recommends you have NTP setup or else it'll revert back to default time and date.  NTP also ensures the clock is synchronized regularly. 

Hi Leo, mabuti naman po ako. Ikaw kumusta? You can speak tagalog pala. << OT.

WLC don't have NTP configured because they don't have NTP server. Anyway, I must agree with you in terms of unstable power source here in Philippines, but in this case, the client datacenter do have redundant UPS standing-by incase power interruption occurs. Actually, my client have 2x 5508 sitting side by side. The other one is working properly because we tried them to switch off and then unplugged the power cord from power source. When we plugged it again and they boot up, one WLC retains its clock and date but the other one reverts to January 1, 2000.

I think we better request for an RMA for this unit.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Hi Leo, mabuti naman po ako. Ikaw kumusta?  You can speak tagalog pala.

Cebuano.

No NTP?  No issue.  If your core network is sychronized to a trusted source, point the WLC to that IP address.  In some of the wireless infrastructure I've seen, the NTP is mostly the default gateway of the subnet of the Management IP address. 

I would open a Tac case ..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

Hi George,

We are thinking that too. But I think it's better to have it replaced.

Hello Mario,

As per your query i can suggest you the following-

If you did not configure the system date and time through the configuration wizard or if you want to change your configuration, you can follow the instructions in this section to configure the controller to obtain the date and time from a Network Time Protocol (NTP) server or to configure the date and time manually. Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) is used as the standard for setting the time zone on the controller.

For more information refer to the link-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/6.0/configuration/guide/c60intf.html#wp1144340

Hope this will help.

Views
Helpful
Replies